Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help, or has any ideas. I am actually vegetarian, so i hope its ok to post here! My first baby was born weighing 10lbs, 2oz, the second was also 10lbs 2oz and the third was 11lbs 6ozs. All (sadly) born by c/s. I find it hard to believe that my body would grow a baby that was "too big" to get out. I do feel I never really had a good chance though. Wasn't given much time when pushing, and no one helped me get into an optimum position. I am about 5 foot tall, and have a small frame. 10 and 11lb babies really don't really seem in proportion to my size. I have been tested in pregnancy for gestational diabetes (hope that is the right spelling!) but my blood sugar was normal.

I'm hoping at some point to get pregnant again. This time I am saving to pay for my own midwife. Not just being a number on the conveyor belt of the NHS. I want to give myself every chance I can to have a VBA3C. Ideally I feel like I'd have more chance of success if I can grow a smaller, more normal sized baby.

This brings me to diet. I read that birth weight was related to diet. I have read lots of different dietary advice, all geared towards growing a bigger more healthy baby. The WAP diet for pregnancy suggests lots of milk, several eggs per day and lots of meat and sea food. All high in protien, so I can see how that would contribute to growing a bigger baby. I wonder how I managed to grow such big babies without anywhere near this much protien in my diet. I wonder if something in my diet caused an unhealthy weight gain in my babies? (I didn't gain much weight in pregnancy apart from the weight of the babies. They are all completely normal sized now btw.) If I followed the WAP diet advice would it likely result in 14lb babies for me?!!! Is there a way to grow a smaller baby. (apart from smoking during pregnancy
) I'm thinking maybe if I did follow the WAP diet it would maybe regulate the amount of nutrients going to the baby and make it more normal sized.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. I don't plan to get pregnant till my youngest is at least 5 years old (he's only 2 now) so I have plenty of time to learn!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
It's the refined carbs and sugars that will grow really big babies, not necessarily protein. And of course, just too many calories in general.
I'm on my third vegan pregnancy. I tend to eat a lot while pregnant, and a lot of protein. I'm 5'3", average build. I had no problems with birthing my 8lb4oz and 9lb5oz babies.
I've gained more weight during this pregnancy though, because even though I was actually eating less, I had really bad morning sickness this time that lasted until 26 weeks, and literally the smell of anything whole grain or vegetables sent me vomitting; I was living off of white bagels, candy, ginger ale, smoothies, and soy yogurt for quite a while. So while I wasn't eating as much, the foods I could keep down put weight on very easily.
A low refined carb diet with lots of veggies is the way to go IMO.

- Krista

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
How is your digestion?

Because if you are also fermenting your carbs, by not digesting them completely (yeast issues for ex.) you are producing alcohols and fatty acids which tends to make the body put on weight.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I ate a nourishing tradtional high-fat diet 6 months before and all during my pregnancy. My pregnancy was easy and enjoyable, and though by the end I had gained almost 40 lbs., I carried on the small side and people told me I didn't even look pregnant from the back. Not that eating this way necessarily guarantees you an easy pregnancy... my sister experienced morning sickness despite a similar diet. Ds was only 6 lbs. at birth, which surprised me, but he was extremely healthy and and regained and surpassed his birth weight in only a few days... and then shot up to the 95th percentile in height and the 50th in weight over the next few months.

IMO, smaller babies are actually more ideal, because of ease of birth (in my case he wouldn't have come out if he were any bigger because he had both elbows sticking up and his hands behind his head
: ). In the days before doctors and hospitals, it wasn't biologically efficient to struggle to birth a large baby, so it makes sense to me that in an ideal world a traditional species appropriate diet (like NT) would create optimal sized babies for easier births. There may be other factors involved, but I think eating the NT way would result in a somewhat smaller baby. Especially if you start several years in advance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
To me NT is all about bringing your body in balance.

Less carbs and MORE enzymes. Better digestions. I find it each MUCH lessfood than before I was eating WAP. My food is more nutrient dense so I don't NEED as much food.

I gained far less in my WAP pregnancy than in my SAD & Veggie pregnancies. My baby was bigger but also easier to deliver. I had MUCH less morning sickness. I have had Hyper-emesis during them all but managed it easier with an NT diet. I found myself to be MUCH stronger throughout pregnancy and FAR more energy and strength during labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts