Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im not sure if I'll get
, but here goes:
DD is nine months old. We went for a WBV yesterday (her ped is actually pretty great). I mentioned that she is not sleeping through the night (she does not wake to eat, but cries and we usually end up co-sleeping). My ped is A-Ok with co-sleeping, she thinks its great BUT.....she was talking about our method of putting baby to sleep. I explained that we typically rock her to sleep until she falls asleep and then place her in the crib until she wakes up and comes in our bed. She suggested that we help her fall asleep on her own?

HOW DOES ONE DO THIS? I obviously don't want to CIO. Does anyone have advice? Any suggestions? The ped feels as though she is wakes up and is unable to settle herself back to sleep b/c she doesnt know how. Ah, I hope this makes sense. Please no negative comments, I really need advice!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Your baby will learn to fall asleep on her own when she it ready.

Meanwhile, she needs to fall asleep with your help. It's totally okay. We just happen to live in a society that tends to put our convenience first sometime.

My child is two. I still rock him to near sleep, but he will lay down with his eyes open. It's one of my favorite parts of the day with him. It will go so fast, and before I know it he will just be saying "'Night Mom" and shutting the door.

You are doing great. Your ped's job is to dispense medical advice, not parenting advice.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
You are doing great. Your ped's job is to dispense medical advice, not parenting advice.
Well said.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the previous posters. We didn't know any better, and listened to our ped about sleeping. She went from 'daddy dance' to sleep, to trying to teach her to sleep on her own. We used 'The No Cry Sleep Solution' and other less appropriate sources, desperately seeking a way to help our baby learn this thing that seemed important.

By the time we realized it was a mistake, the 'daddy dance' no longer worked.
We're now stuck with a kiddo who is majorly difficult at nap/bedtime...and I'm not 100% sure but I would guess that if we had not tried to force her to sleep in a way that she wasn't ready for, she would have been fine.

I can't totally blame the ped or us, since she never went to sleep *easily* even with the 'daddy dance'. But, it sure seemed better before we started stressing out about it.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
My dd is 5yo already and I had to help her go to sleep for a long time. I waited til after she was a year old to even try to get her to fall asleep on her own, because before that she needed to be held very tightly or she couldn't calm down at all. Now I do have to say that she was a very "high needs" baby who hated sleeping, so I'm sure that played a part in it. When she was finally ready to lay down but still awake, I started by standing right there talking and singing to her. Then I sat in the rocking chair and did the same, then I sat in the chair and read to myself. Finally after a couple months, I could lay her down and tell her I'll be back in 5min to check on you and I would check on her every 5min until she went to sleep. Back before I knew any better, I did try cio. It totally didn't work. She would end up gagging because she cried so hard. We only did it a couple times, I just couldn't do that to her. Oh, also I had a cd that I always put in for her to listen to every nap/bed time. When she woke in the middle of the night I would use whatever techique I had used to get her in bed. I figured that was her cue for bed time so I tried to keep it consistent.

So, I guess I said all that to say, you need to do a couple things. 1. Determine if she really can put herself to sleep. She may not be ready yet and that's ok. 2. If she needs help to fall asleep at the beginning of the night,she'll need help in the middle of the night. 3. Realize that even if she is ready, it can be a lengthy process to get her to the point of totally indepent sleep.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Actual advice here answering op's question...
First you have to know her cycle or when she usually takes naps, naps are the place to start. When the time is coming for a nap and you notice her relaxing and less excitable this is when you set her down in a comfy place where she usually sleeps. It's so easy for them to become overtired and then you're screwed. Have something to keep her occupied in the mean time that won't overstimulate her or bore her, like a book or stuffed animal, or some other toy. Put her down and see what happens. If she fusses a little that's OK she's probably talking to hersef or her toys. If she fusses alot or crys then pick her up and rock her to sleep. Just do the same thing everytime and sooner or later you'll check in on her and she'll have dozed off. DD was horrible to put to sleep when she was first born, she would fight it so bad, But we did this and she learnt to relax and transistion into sleep. The other posters are right though, some babies have a hard time transitioning into sleep because of all the changes the happen it their brain, so they need help to fall asleep. Some learn how to sooner while some learn later alll on their own. But the way I see it is that if I can prepare my DD sooner and practice healthy sleep habits from the get go she'll learn to do it herself faster. I find that when sleep for baby becomes less stressful the whole house becomes less stressful, thus a happier family. No matter what good luck.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I think I would gradually stop the practice of rocking to sleep, ie. rock sitting on the bed, rock more and more gently, rock with her sitting on the bed but still in your arms, rock laying down, etc.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I rock ds until he's almost asleep and then lay him in bed. Sometimes I can leave at that point and he'll drift off, but other times (especially in the beginning) I would have to stand there and pat or rub his back until he went to sleep. Over time, that has gradually ended and he'll just fall asleep in his bed after we've rocked for a while.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGA View Post
She suggested that we help her fall asleep on her own?

HOW DOES ONE DO THIS?

The ped feels as though she is wakes up and is unable to settle herself back to sleep b/c she doesnt know how.
Like others have said, she'll "learn" when she's darn good and ready. I really fail to see the logic behind why a 9 month old should know how to fall asleep independently. It just does not make sense to me.

Whether or not we like to admit it, we ALL have sleep associations. Even as adults. Some like to read a book before bed, take a bath, have a cup of tea, watch TV, fluff their pillow a certain way, count sheep, think, sing.. the list goes on and on. Why should babies be any different, ESPECIALLY when they are new the world and are learning EVERYTHING for the first time. After being carried to sleep for 9 months, is it any wonder they need help on the outside? The transition to independence isn't going to happen over night, and it certainly ain't gunna happen in 9 months!!

I also think learning to fall asleep prematurely will rob her of a lot of good nursing time, and in the first year nursing and breastmilk is their main source of nutrition, so I wouldn't want to jeopardize that by taking away 10-12 hours of potential nursing time. Sleep training is a death sentence for breastfeeding.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
But the way I see it is that if I can prepare my DD sooner and practice healthy sleep habits from the get go she'll learn to do it herself faster.
Since you have stated in the past that you are against co-sleeping or holding your baby while she sleeps, am I to assume that co-sleeping, or not letting/teaching your child to sleep indipendently is not healthy?
:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts