• I use my swing/bouncer once a day

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • I use my swing/bouncer way too much!

Votes: 12 14.8%
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have both for dd... i had a cheap bouncy chair for ds which was great because he loved to be bounced to sleep and meant i could shower, use the toilet, cook i was given a vibrating chair and a swing for dd and she loves them, the chair meand she has somewhere to safely sit and play while her very clumsy brother is about and he can play with her safely and the swing is great for times when she needs motion (like at colic o'clock) and i need to take 5/tend to ds

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I had and loved a swing, a bouncer, AND a johnny jump up! Swing was in the family room which is open to the kitchen, so a good place for mine to hang out while I made dinner when they were really little.<br><br>
Bouncer is great as it is so portable! You can take it in the bathroom with you if you have to go or take a shower. Upstairs or downstairs or outside - anywhere you are that you can't/don't want to hold baby every minute. I held mine plenty, but sometimes you need your hands/arms.<br><br>
Johnny jump up was in a door opening between our kitchen and dining room. Once mine could hold their heads up well, they LOVED bouncing there while I made dinner or cleaned the kitchen. This was my under one year old's favorite activity!! I have some hilarious pix of each of mine bouncing. Dd1 used to bounce and bounce then stick her legs out in different directions and grab her toes! It was pretty funny.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
We use the bouncer a few times a day. I wouldn't say it's too much though, since the baby likes it so much. We've taken to calling it the "happy chair" because he laughs and smiles the whole time he's in it. He does let us know when he's sick of it, and we pick him right up. It is a good tool for when I'm cooking or doing something with the big kids and need 2 hands.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
We had like a rocker / bouncer. I used it often when DS were smaller. Great for having a shower or being able to go to the toilet or do the washing (or infact tidy up, because I can't seem to do that with a baby on my back!).<br><br>
Also good for putting them down when they're newborns and fall asleep in your arms. I'm the type of person that gets touched out so I just can't hold a baby while they're sleeping. Not when they're sleeping most of the day anyway!<br><br>
Also good for when you're trying to eat! I would put DS in it and rock while I ate, so I could have dinner and they could be happy.<br><br>
I would say that before DS started crawling I would have used it several times a day. It is a safe place to put the baby when you need to do something (and is also a safe place for putting the baby down when you have a toddler running round!! I felt much more secure knowing that DS2 was going to get fallen on!!)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a swing, though I don't use it much anymore. Baby is 8.5 months old and is almost too big for it.<br><br>
I used to use it multiple times a day so baby would nap comfortably, he also enjoyed the music and mobile on it. Then I went down to once or twice a day. Next was about 1-2 times per week during the day. Now I only use it when baby is really fussy and refuses to relax and sleep, so not very often any more.<br><br>
We loved having such an easy way to relax baby to sleep. Now I just rock him to sleep or let him listen to music and play until he falls asleep. Rocking isn't as easy as the swing, but it works when he is too mad to play and fall asleep on his own.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I have a bouncer, I used it a decent amount when he was little. He's too big for it now. I probably could have done without it, but it was nice to have.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We had a swing and a bouncer, and they got used until DS was 6 months old. Then he started getting too long and heavy for them, so we sold them.<br><br>
DS loved being held, but he got tired of it and he hated tummy time, but he was content in the bouncy seat and swing, so we used them occasionally. Our swing was portable and folded up, so when we weren't using it we tucked it in a closet and it didn't take up much space at all.<br><br>
I really think it varies from baby to baby, some are happy being worn and held all the time, and other might like a swing or bouncer seat. It's just a matter of finding out which your baby prefers and going from there. If you have any friends with babies I'd recommend borrowing one before you buy it, or if that's not an option buy them close to your due date and hold onto the receipt so you can return it if need be. Also swings and bouncers sell pretty decently on Craigslist.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I can't vote. I've never had a swing, but I was given a bouncer with ds1. I've used it about 5 times per kid. I probably could have used it more, but I'd rather wear them or lie them on the floor/playpen (for quick things) I was just away at my mom's & she borrowed a bouncer for me to use. I used it a couple times a day, but that's because my mom had me doing lots of little things & she has a cat (& not much ability to clean atm because of injuries) so I didn't want him on the floor. He was never in it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
3 kids...<br><br>
Never had either and never will...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a travel swing. DS2 sits in it a few times a day. I mainly use it so I can shower. DD had one and she really didn't like it. I tried to use on with DS1 and DD wouldn't leave him alone when he sat in it!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
we have a bouncy chair and baby sits in it if i'm showering or in the bathroom and my husband needs his hands free for some reason or another. baby also sometimes sits in his bouncy chair if i'm eating dinner and need both hands (like, to cut my food). this is maybe 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
102 Posts
LO takes the longest naps in the swing. I did not think it would be such a lifesaver-- thank goodness it was a hand-me-down. IShe can go to sleep in the crib, but I have a short window that if it is missed, all is lost. She really only sleeps in the swing-she does not hang out. I'd say the swing and the Ergo (worth every penny) are necessities in our house.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I voted I didn't have either, although in reality we did have a swing. We gave it away when we moved when ds was 4 months & before that he sat in it maybe 4 times.<br><br>
The swing was something I really thought would come in handy (after seeing it being used a lot by friends) but it really was not such a hit with ds.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts