Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 9 years since I had a newborn. I'm remembering so many things!

1. waking up in the morning to sheets soaked both with breastmilk and a leaked diaper.

2. how it is possible for my husband to hand over the baby totally unaware of the virulent fumes generating from the diaper area and be genuinely shocked when I "discover" the baby has a poopy diaper.

3. how quickly they change; at a week old he's spending so much more time with his eyes open, scowling intently as he struggles to make sense of what he's seeing.

4. that the whole family can be entertained watching the baby make faces that look like grumpy old men!

5. that the baby can wake up wet, get an outfit change, eat, create a colossal poopy diaper, get an outfit change, eat some more, create another filled diaper, pee all over himself, get a quick wipe-down bath, get into third outfit, eat again, decide it was all too exhausting and go back to sleep--and that's just in the first hour of the day.

6. that you instantly become the center of attention when you walk into any public space with a baby...and how I can instantly become crazy protective mama bear if anyone does anything that I don't like.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Lol yeah I know. This little one likes to repeatedly fill her diapers over and over. We have yet to put her in the cloth ones though. She's too tiny! I hadn't prepared or planned for a 5lb baby! So I'll be buying more disposable diapers today I think. I'm almost out. She still fits in the preemie size.

I also forgot about how your stitches down there really itch as they heal! I only had one stich but I know it's really healing cus it itches like crazy.

I forgot how tiny newborns are. Then again this one is 3 lbs lighter than my first, lol.

I'd say I forgot how much breastfeeding hurts at first but I did not forget that. This little darling has a mild tongue tie too. At least I'm on medication that's supposed to make things better by week 2 so I can tolerate it.

I forgot how engorged you can get so fast! Ow my boobs are so full! At least dh likes the taste... lol.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
DS3 is 2.5 weeks today and has "at least" a double chin. There's nothing cuter than a newborn that has just nursed, milk burbling out of his mouth, and a face that looks fatter than it did 10 minutes prior! He seems to be growing my the minute!

I also have to cover my sheets with a pad (a wonderful 2-layer bamboo pad I had made for me and DS2) lest I wake up soaked. DS really needs to be changed every 1-2 hours at night--and last night he went so much longer. Poor baby, he's got a diaper rash to prove it. He doesn't seem to mind at all.

Sleep! It comes and goes--doesn't it? My kids are starting to catch on to how sleep deprivation effects their mama--kind of! Major brain fog. Sometimes irritable. Numbing exhaustion.

I'm so so glad that I planned to start our homeschool year the first week of October vs. after Labor Day! I don't know how other moms of newborns do it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, I forgot how much baby's hate car seats! I wanted to go out this week (feeling great, not a lot of bleeding) but DD2 didn't even make it out of the house in the car seat. Our main branch library restarts their children's programming after summer renovations next week so we will be taking the bus to storytime next week bc I NEED to get DD1 back to her normal routine and I do not want the stress of a screaming newborn in the back seat.

When DD1 was born we lived in the middle of a village with a playground and a coffee shop and a theater and an ice cream shop and several restaurants so i could walk around and get out and feel normal. Now there's two of us who need to get out and feel normal and nothing to walk to. The park we walked to the other day is too far away for my hips right now. So, public transport it is!

·
Registered
245 Posts
DS3 is 2.5 weeks today and has "at least" a double chin. There's nothing cuter than a newborn that has just nursed, milk burbling out of his mouth, and a face that looks fatter than it did 10 minutes prior! He seems to be growing my the minute!

I also have to cover my sheets with a pad (a wonderful 2-layer bamboo pad I had made for me and DS2) lest I wake up soaked. DS really needs to be changed every 1-2 hours at night--and last night he went so much longer. Poor baby, he's got a diaper rash to prove it. He doesn't seem to mind at all.

Sleep! It comes and goes--doesn't it? My kids are starting to catch on to how sleep deprivation effects their mama--kind of! Major brain fog. Sometimes irritable. Numbing exhaustion.

I'm so so glad that I planned to start our homeschool year the first week of October vs. after Labor Day! I don't know how other moms of newborns do it.
I homeschool too and my DD1 will be in first grade this year. I was already giving myself until mid September (when DS will be a month old), but October sounds even better! I just really like to be done by June and I haven't planned it out to see if that's possible starting that late. I think school is what gives me the most anxiety right now. I just can't picture it going down easily with a newborn that wants to be held and a demanding 3 y.o. DD2. I'm sure it will all work out though, it always does :)

My boy is 9 days old today and I've been noticing a double chin and a couple arm rolls starting to form! I love that he's fattening up! I feel like I make enough milk for twins - gah. I have to pump a few times a day just to relieve myself. So he's getting lots of good hind milk and he's super content.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My baby will be 5 weeks tomorrow, and I got the cutest little first side smile this morning. Swoon! Made me tear up :) He is just so sweet, so chunky. He is the first of our four that I have actually purchased a paci for. At night often after eating he wants to nurse. My breasts make loads of milk and will just keep making it while he nurses and he gets so frustrated. HE spits it out, chokes, tries again, doesn't want milk but he wants to suck. So, got a nutterstaten pacifier that he takes during this time. Only happens at night for about an hour before he goes to sleep for his longer stretches.

We homeschool too...we are nine days in. I have a fifth grader and a first grader. I am already really thrilled for the long weekend! We started slow, just three subjects the first week, adding in more subjects each week to see how it will go with new baby in the mix of it all too.

edited to correct his age!

·
Registered
591 Posts
We are not starting our homeschooling anytime soon, except for violin lessons and gymnastics in 2 weeks.

The babies are 4 weeks now, and we still haven't figured out breastfeeding fully. I've never used bottles previously, but twin breastfeeding is such a different ballgame. I set daily breastfeeding goals though, like how many simultaneous feeds I'll do. I am so tired of pumping too.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
DD2 is 2 weeks old today. She breastfeeds well but still has some issues latching at first. It's almost as if she doesn't believe I'm actually giving her the nipple, so she spits it out. I think it helps a little if I express a little on the tip, but sometimes even that doesn't convince her. Once she has a good latch though she nurses well.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It sounds even so far everyone here is doing pretty well! I'm glad to hear that :)

My cute boy is 3 weeks old and chunking right up. He gained a full pound from 1 week old to 2 weeks. I'm not sure what he weighs now, but he's definitely gaining. He doesn't sleep for very long stretches at night. I might get a 3 hour stretch every few nights if I'm lucky. Breastfeeding is going pretty well. He has quite a lip tie, and that's making for some sore nipples. It's much better than it was at first. I'm not sure if we'll have to get it clipped or not. For now I think we are ok.

Dd1 starts preschool in a little over a week and I'm so excited for her. She needs some structure and is so ready to learn. It will be nice to have a few hours a week with just the baby.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@ldserrano super cute! I wish my little girl's hair would grow faster but it looks like it's destined to grow slowly like her sister's did. Darn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@ldserrano yes very cute! Her hair is adorable. My DS's hair is not uniform in length at all and he has patches of more hair in some places and bald in others :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts