Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arthur Tiemer Rowe III was born 10 days ago today on Dec. 18th. He was 19 and a half inches long and 6 lbs. 15 oz.

I will try to make the story of his birth brief, so here goes. I wanted a water birth with as little intervention as possible. However, after laboring for 27 hours and only able to dialate to 6 cm, we decided that his only way to be born was a ceserean (sp?). i was more than disappointed in myself, i felt like i had let people down, although i know very well no one had any expectations of me. the only ones there were were the ones i set upon myself.

my mw said the contractions i was having a 2 and 3 cent. dialated was what one would expect to have at 6 and 7 cent. dialated. this continued until the time when we decided a c-section was best. the baby's heart rate had dropped to 60 beats for a couple of minutes, and during the ceserean she discovered his head was wedged in my pelvis at the widest point coming down first, rather than the smallest....so the likelihood i would have birthed him naturally was pretty much ruled out.

i do feel fairly disconnected from the birth, mainly because i didnt get to experience him coming forth from me. but now that he is here and healthy, i feel blessed. it feels as though he was always with us.

the final news i have is that due to the pku heal prick, they discovered that my son has virtually no thyroid in his body. his thyroid gland never developed for some reason. so since the 25th he has been taking Sythroid to replace what he doesnt make. Hypothyroidism causes mental retardation basically, and if he was born 10-15 years ago this would not have been discovered until there was permanent brain damage....so although it was hard hearing my baby wasnt 'perfect', i am thankful he was born in this day and age where he will grow to be a prefected well-developed young man.

God Bless and Happy New Year to all

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Oh NeKisha, I have so much to say, but I have a nursling attached to me :LOL

Firstly, much congratulations on the birth of your son.
I'm sorry you are feeling disconnected from him--there are a lot of feelings to work out. When you are up for it you should join the ICAN list (International Cesaerian Awareness Network). It is an active list comprised of many different people, and obviously there are quite a few of them who had birthed by cesearian. I'm sure they have some great words of wisdom to help you feel more connected.

Enjoy your babymoon
& take care of yourself

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nekisha, I was wondering about you! So glad to hear from you. It sounds like you have been through a lot.
You are so fortunate, as you said, that your son was born in this day and age when medicine can help him lead a normal life.

Congratulations and Happy Babymooning!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Welcome, Tiemer! NeKisha. I am sorry to hear about the long labor and the fact that the birth wasnt what you had planned, but SO glad they caught your lil one's thyroid problem in time to do some good! Enjoy that lil one, mama!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Welcome Tiemer!

NeKisha, I'm sorry it wasn't exactly what you wanted. I'm glad that it hasn't interfered with your bonding with your son. You did nurture him into being and bring him into the world, and even a cesarian can't take that from you.

I'm so glad your son's hypothyroidism got caught nice and early, before there was any damage done! This is the great thing about those metabolic screens, and why I chose to have them done for all of my kids - sometimes things come up and they can be devestating if you don't catch them right away.

Any chance we'll get to see some pictures of Tiemer anytime soon? I just loooove baby pictures....

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Congratulations!!!

My cousin was born with the same thyroid problem. She is 17 now and perfectly healthy and intelligent. Having to take daily medication has helped to make her responsible and organized. Tiemer will be fine.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Welcome Baby Tiemer!

Enjoy your baby!

I too had a c-birth with Nikolas. (my second). This time I was able to feel more in control. The first was much more stressful on me and my DD. Talking about it with others in my situation helped me a lot.

Take care.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
nak

congrats on new baby! i understanding about feeling disconnected; btdt -- & am going through it a bit this time too. good news though -- as time goes on you will become more & more attached -- in any case it doesn't always happen instataneously even with vaginal births, so really -- don't worry (repeating to myself too -- but I know the outcome & can just look at ds1 to remind myself).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you all for the kind words. i really feel fortunate to have such a supportive group of women to connect with. i am feeling much more bonded with my son. sometimes i have to take a second and remind myself, you have a son, A SON!. its so easy to just go with the flow, that i forget that this incredible person wasnt in my life a month ago...it all just seems so natural, like he was never not here. btw, he is 3 weeks exactly today.

he he had his first endocrinologist appt. the other day. the dr was extremely nice. i like his last comment before we left. he said not to let anyone pity our son and call his thyroid issue a 'disease', but instead to think of his medicine like a vitamin and that we are just helping his body do what it could otherwise do naturally.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Congratulations mama!! You sound like a wonderful, strong woman...I hope you have been enjoying your ds. I am so glad the thyroid thign was caught quickly!! Yay technology!
Debi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.