Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My belly hasn't grown in the past nearly 6 weeks and my last appointment he was measuring about a week behind. I'm starting to worry that the baby has stopped growing and that there is a problem. Or maybe I'm just not growing but he is. My husband's family are all smaller people but mine are mostly tall. I look at everyone else's belly pics and I'm a little nervous because, while mine's big, it's not <i>that</i> big.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
When you say you are measuring a week behind, you have to keep in mind that you are measuring a week behind an <i>average</i>. To get to an average, some will be measuring bigger, some smaller. And remember, a lot of us are on a second, third, tenth child, which makes a difference on how our bellies look.<br><br>
try not to worry so much!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think thats a concern with any mother wondering if they are doing everything to grow a nice fat baby. First time moms have nice tight tummys, as long as you are gaining weight and the baby is active and you are eating enough things should be okay. Relax and tune in to your baby talk to him tell him your worries. I feel that mothers and their unborn babies are able to communicate with each other and find answers togather. If you feel that something really is off trust you gut feeling and find ways to solve the issue.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So are you measuring 7 weeks behind? That I dont think is normal...it is normal to measure 1 or 2 weeks ahead or behind.<br>
I am measuring small, but by many weeks and we found out the baby has IUGR.<br>
I was not planning on having any ultrasounds or tests, but i wanted to make suer baby was Ok and that is when we found out she was not growing. I am happy with my choice to have the ultrasound. I knew in my heart something was wrong since week 13.<br>
I would say if you are only 1-2 week behind that you are fine, but any more than that and maybe get it looked at.<br>
Good luck<br>
BTW...IUGR is rare and I am in no means implying that you have anything wrong.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My belly is really small, for 31 weeks, but I am pretty sure the baby is big enough...<br>
If it makes you feel any better, I am embaressd to post any of my belly picks, as my belly is so much smaller that all the other April Mamas... (I'm due April 15)<br>
But, I have been assured, and believe, I have a long torso and my baby is a spine hugger, so I look small. I measure just fine.<br>
I bet you're like me...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The midwife and ob/gyn's measurement of my fundal height (which I don't know how to do for myself) was about a week behind. The size of my belly hasn't really changed in a month. All the ladies I run into either say 1) just you wait and you'll be as big as a house soon, 2) you should consider yourself lucky, or 3) you just don't stick out as much because you're taller (5'8"). I don't know what to think but I know he must be pretty good because he is wiggling away and his heartbeat is strong.

·
Registered
764 Posts
with my daughter i measured a few weeks ahead until week 30 then i started measuring behind - which the midwife said might have been due to her dropping into my pelvis nice and early.<br><br>
this time i am measuring two weeks "behind". I'm not the least bit concerned. it's an average, that's all. maternal height as well as the size of the baby contribute to differences from pregnancy to pregnancy.<br><br>
if no one mentioned that there was a possibility of the baby failing to grow at your last visit, i wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was gonna ask you if you have a long torso and/or if you're carrying baby waaaaay low! That's pretty much my situation, and I've always measured behind...but my MW isn't concerned at all since it's normal for women like me.<br>
Did you talk to your HCP about this?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yep, you're like me-<br>
Taller woman, in shape. My belly is small, but my babe isn't...<br>
If you'd like, pm me with your email, I'll email you belly shot. (The ones I won't put on the thread, partly because my belly looks SO SMALL compared to everyone elses...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
...I am not speaking with previous experience as other mommies who are on second or more child; but I have measured 1wk behind my whole pregnancy. I was told 1-2 weeks off is not a big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts