Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all you no-plastic mamas out there. What the heck should I give my six-month old to play with? He has a few stuffed animals that he plays with, and a couple of wooden rattles. Any other suggestions? (I don't expect him to play independently for very long, I'd just like something other than the kitchen spoon to hand him while I'm trying to drink my tea in the morning...) Thanks, Jessi

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We have a great wooden teether with beads on it. My DS loves it. It's made by Selecta, they make lots of wooden baby toys. Haba is another company who make them. They also use non-toxic paint.

HTH

Olivia

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My just turned 8 month-old loves to play with her stacking wooden "donut" rings (the ones that stack from big to small on a pole attached to a base) and also loves her wooden blocks in many shapes and sizes that we have picked up at various yard sales.

I'm by no means a wood-toys-only mama, but my daughter sure seems to love these.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
well, Roman is 11mos but at 6 months he played with playsilks, texture blocks, teethers and teething fabric dolls, stacking rings, wood rattles, a squish toy (i'm selling a few of these in the TP btw. LOL) oh. and the wilson football he got the day he was born. Thats still a favorite cuz now he can throw it. ok, not natural but he loves it.

now he hates his toys and only wants what the big kids are playing with. Right now he's been sitting on the floor next to me pushing the fake dirt devil vaccuum of big sisters for 10 minutes! ok, its plastic but the point is anything he can push and pull, which is why he's getting the wooden radio flyer wagon for his birthday next month

he also love the melissa and doug tool box and tools and loves to bang with the hammer (wrench or screwdriver) on anything to make a really really loud noise.

wooden blocks are great fun to bang together too. and all the wooden food in the play kitchen makes him happy.

in my diaper bag i now carry a few chunky toys with wheels since everything becomes a car. He pushes anything across the floor - cars, boxes, tupperware, books... and says 'woom woom'.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I really love the Haba toys-they are great and have such a huge variety for all ages-check them out.
I also really like the cloth hide n seek box from Discovery Toys-it was a fave with both my kids around that age-has different textures/sounds on the little cloth shapes that go in it-fish, flower, heart, etc.
Don't forget taggy dolls-these are great too, non breakable mirrors (Lamaze has one), wooden cars/trucks or just shapes of them, and bead mazes are great.
Good luck
Ann

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi! We're not a strictly no-plastic house but some of ds' favorites were:

wooden blocks (large-sized ones)
taggy blanket
cloth books
little tiny itty bitty board books that fit in his hand

Have fun!

Priya

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Newspaper!
Plastic bowls and other stuff from your kitchen
Empty kleenex boxes

I'm not a "no-plastic" mama, but DS LOVES all of this stuff! I spent money on toys, and these are the things he plays with!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Lil loves her scarves (I pick them up, here & there.... never wearing them, now I know why!) for peek-a-boo & hide & seek. I made her a cloth blanky doll, she'll play w/ it occasionally . I made her a couple of "bean"bags with buckwheat, she could give a flip about those. She's got plastic toys, we tried to ask the family nicely, but they keep coming.
I'd have to say my favorite at the moment are her cloth books, and bright books in general that hold up to her kind of reading... she's really into them now,she loves to turn the pages.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I love Haba toys-wooden, non toxic paint/laquers, they are just so classic looking and sturdy and fun. I happen to sell them, too! Email me offboard if you are interested- I could send you a link so you could see some of what we have on our website.

nancysnfb @ sbcglobal dot net

I already laid down the No battery operated toy rule!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Besides what has already been mentioned my Maya loves her metal mixing bowl, she can see her reflection, bang on it put stuff in it, take it back out etc.. she is 8 months now but started playing with it from about 6 months. She also likes a sock with crinkly paper (OK it is crinkly plastic) stuffed in it and tied with a knot. An empty metal canister with popcorn in it, glued the lid on, makes a great shaker. A rain stick made from a cardboard tube with foil inside and beans and rice, covered with contact paper and stoppers on each end.
She also delights in the picecs of lint the vacuum missed, cat food, anything I use often, so the mop, vacuum, dust rags are all favorites.
Oh and I bought some handmade stuffed vegetables and fruit. She loves to play with those.
Warmly,
Kathryn mum to Maya 10/28

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Just be careful with newspaper, I gave some to my ds once and he got ink all over him!! And he tried to eat some, but otherwise paper is really fun for babies. I give my girl the junk mail or magazines that come in, pretty colors and a bit harder to rip into small pieces so she doesn't choke.

Do you have a small set of wooden bowls or cups he can stack with?

We aren't stricktly no plastic so I'm not much help everything I was going to suggest has been said.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Search Montessori and Waldorf materials. Oh, they make a great investment into toddlerhood and beyond.
Rossiehippos comes to mind. Second on the Haba, can touch and see by having a show with uniquebabyboutique.com they sell a lot of Haba toys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.