Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay or Nay
Any feedback on this seat? I'm torn with buying an infant carseat for this lo.... of course I sold our Snugride/double stroller travel system since we thought we were done and we didn't even really use the double stroller. I'll be able to get a free infant convertible from our health insurance (either a Scenera or Evenflo Titan) so I'll have a seat for him but I do like the convenience of a bucket seat with other lo's in tow. My lo's tend to be at least 8-9lbs at birth and 21". I don't really want to spend the $$ on a keyfit30 or SS1 since usually by 5-6months they outgrow the snugrides (I know the 2 previous mentioned seats go to higher weights) and I'm fine with having them in an infant RF convertible at that age. I was looking around online at different seats and this one came up. I know nothing about them but I do like that it looks like it has a narrow base and also is it one of the infant seats that you can leave the handle up in the car? What about Safety 1st infant carseats? I had an Evenflo back in the day ('99) with dd and it was fine but now they just look flimsy to me.... maybe 'cause I'm used to Graco Snugrides..... any other less expensive yet good infant carseats worth mentioning? TIA

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a Baby Trend Flex Loc seat with DS and really liked it. DS was 8.5 lbs and 21.5 inches at birth. I probably could have used it longer, but switched to a convertible seat when he was 4 months due to the fact that he chunked up to almost 20 lbs by then and it was killing my knee to lift the seat plus him into our truck (I know that probably sounds wimpy but I had a tendon or something poking out of the back of my knee from this).

There's really not much I can think of that I didn't like about it. Loved the swiveling sunshade, the nice narrow base, the material in the seat, easy to use straps, etc. I'd definitely recommend it

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by northwoods1995 View Post
I'm subbing to this b/c we have to get an affordable new infant seat and this is one brand that I've been looking at.

I may be wrong but I think you have to have the handle down with the Baby Trend seats.
I always put it down anyway, and can't locate my owner's manual, but I believe you are correct.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
i have the flex loc. i hate it. the straps twist so i always have to undo them. and the bottom clip is incredibly hard to do/undo. i got it because i read somewhere it was the narrowest and i've got 3 kids and a tiny civic.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I do think it's the narrowest and, if I'm correct, it also rates well over at www.car-seat.org. I played with one the other day and I like how the shoulders adjust without rethreading and I think the head foam area looks pretty safe compared to the other buckets.

That said, I've never actually used one and I'm really curious what others think. Lurking...

·
Registered
549 Posts

love it!!!

My last seat was a 2007 evenflo embrace. The flex-loc is easier to use, but a little heavier. Fits well in my van, though we did need a noodle. (We've needed a noodle for every seat though.) The harness is very easy to adjust, rethreads really easily.

the handle does need to be down, I have used 4 buckets and all had to have the handle down. The only time I had trouble with twisty straps was when I used a bundle me, but turns out you can't use those anyway.
I like the handle on the Flex-Loc. it's much easier on the arms than the "z" handle on the evenflo seats.

I got mine on clearance at Kmart for $48, and it was only a couple months old! I thought at that price it would be close to expiration.

My only complaint with this one is that, unlike the Evenflo Embrace, this one is made in China. My Evenflo was made in the US.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
ive heard good things about them.

if youre looking for a travel system, my sis just bought this one for a baby shower gift for a friend, and its a good deal for both

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8342690

she hasnt got it yet, so i dont know what se thinks of it in person
Oh I like that pattern!!! I wasn't looking for a travel system but really I guess it's not that much more than buying the seat alone.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by because View Post
I do think it's the narrowest and, if I'm correct, it also rates well over at www.car-seat.org. I played with one the other day and I like how the shoulders adjust without rethreading and I think the head foam area looks pretty safe compared to the other buckets.

That said, I've never actually used one and I'm really curious what others think. Lurking...
I wasn't aware the shoulders readjust w/o threading.... that's another good reason, thanks

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amj'smommy View Post
I wasn't aware the shoulders readjust w/o threading.... that's another good reason, thanks

I played with one at a store for a bit and it was VERY easy to adjust the harness height. There was a little dial on the back that turned to adjust the height. Very simple and easy. I don't know anything about re-threading the harness.

I'm not sure how I felt about the handle though. I did not like the z handle on the Evenflo seats at all. I'm not sure how I would like the baby trend handle. I don't think it could be worse than the z handle (hopefully--I really disliked that).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the carseat. It is ok, but the handle is very annoying to put down, it seems to get stuck in all positions. My 2 year old used it until 8 months when I moved her into a Boulevard. My 3 week old daughter hates it, screams without end anytime she is in it. I am not sure if this means she will hate all buckets though.

Also, I do NOT recommend the travel system. It is terrible. The stroller is heavy and bulky. The way it folds is awkward and causes the front to drag on the ground and get all scratched up. Finally, it is very difficult to steer, especially with a heavier child. It was a total waste of money for us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.