Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DD used to hate being in any carrier. On thanksgiving she wouldn't let me put her down so I tried the MT and she did great. She just hung out and then fell asleep. And she did *wonderful* handling her secretions in that position!

Problem is, it's not supportive enough for her. She's got an awful curve in her back and I need something that will not let her slump to that side. Or at least, not as much as the MT does.

How does the ergo work for this? And any other MT (mine is cheaply homemade with no padding) that may work?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Try a Mei Tai with wrap-like straps. The maya wrap mei tai (Maya Tie) would be a good option. Then you can wrap the straps like a wrap and make the mei tai more supportive. The pictures on the website do not do it justice as far as tieing positions for support. With this one you can spread out the straps when you wrap it around the body and give great side support. I tried one with a floppy baby a couple years ago and was very amazed by it, I hope the mama posts here and gives her recommendations as well! (Jenrose, hint hint... where are you? lol) Heres a good example picture I found while searching TBW gallery

You could try an Ergo or Beco (I prefer beco myself over the Ergo) and have a bit more support than a standard Mei Tai, but not as customizable support as tie-able straps would.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think the Beco would work well too. For us, babywearing really helped with Devon's trunk strength and gave her a sense of wonder from many vantage points.

Good luck,

Mary
:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We have a MT that a lady made specially for us, with the ekstra support we needed etc. Maybe it could be an idea to get someone to make you on just like you need it?
We got it made when our 4 year old wasn't even able to lift her own head, let alone support her body weight, but she was so sick, and needed to be held and carried alot.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Have you been over to thebabywearer.com site yet?

Those mommas over there are experts.

There are so many carriers out there made by mommas that kick the more commercial types in the butt when you are looking for a specific type of support. I'm sure if you explain what you need you will get some good ideas. there re also lots of mommas that can do a custom carrier for you. Maybe you can have something made with extra padding or a stiffer layer in there. There are also lots of sewing wizards over there that can suggest things to help you make one that might work better.

Also have you tried wrapping? DS has low tone and I find he gets the best support from a well made wrap. It takes a little practice to get a good wrap but the effort is well worth it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Would a chunei work for you? My low tone baby was ok in a sling, but this carrier has a lot of support and has lots of ways to customize the fit and support in different places. It comes with a headrest that I haven't used, so I can't say how well it works, but I'm not sure if it is pictured on the site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.