Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in Florida far too long and I've never been in cold weather with a baby! We're taking a trip to nyc next week with our 4 year old and 7 week old. I baby wear exclusively and was thinking that mostly my body is what will keep babe warm, combined with the layers of the moby. Walk me through exactly what your LO wears in a carrier, and yourself. I have a long puffy winter coat that I can zip over a little bit of the lower part of babe, was thinking to dress in either regular cotton sleeper as a base layer, or long sleeve shirt and pants, two pairs of socks, two cotton hats if we'll be outside for awhile, and a wearable blanket. Maybe adding a scarf for one more layer. Does this sound about right? Also, can you be outside with a newborn for an hour or two in winter?

·
Registered
86 Posts
my baby was born in november and at that time we lived in Switzerland. The winters there were very cold. I used to go out for long walks with my newborn and I was wearing:
a t-shirt the moby wrap and baby with cotton pants and body. We bought in Canada a very heavy coat called mama parka. that plus a hat for baby we were totally fine. In that way I was able to get inside the stores and walk aroud without undressing her. Now i think that the thing to consider is how you do when you go in and out from store etc., because baby will get hot very fast and you too.I would put on baby a good wool hat that covers hears and forehead and wool socks/legwarmers. Then if you plan just to have quick walks outside but then being on the inside most of the time whatever combo you find it's ok. But if you plan to be more out then maybe a winter overall for baby is a good idea. I also remember the wind being very annoying. Having baby looking trough a scarf was for me a good way to protect my nek from cold and not letting baby breating any cold hair

·
Registered
266 Posts
I live in northern Sweden so long cold winters are the norm every year. I noticed that both mom and child gets warmer than one expects from babywearing so don't overdress. I was outside when it was -25 c sometimes wearing a coat that covered both of us. My daughter had warm socks and booties (she had pretty cold feet), mittens, a warm hat and a wool overall or wool sweater and pants. I wore a thick scarf to cover the area between my neck and the baby. On winterdays around -10 c or warmer I either had the baby with just socks, mittens and hat and the jacket buttoned or I had the baby worn on top of my jacket and the baby was in the clothes I described above or slightly warmer clothes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ok so the coat I was talking about is called Moa Po mamaparka, is sold in Canada by Evymama. They ship it for free to US. The coat is very warm for really cold weather. It includes an extension for the back when you gonna carry you baby on the back and a protection for your neck. Anyway it can be a bit expensive if you gonna use it only once. I also found that wrapping baby in a fleece blanket kept baby super warm and you can remove it anytime. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
436 Posts
With baby wearing in winter, it's all about layers. Thin layers between you and baby, heavy layers over the two of you so you can move them out of the way when you get heated. I used a extra large men's coat so I could zip it up over both of us.

I used a wrap (front wrap cross carry) so I could tuck her head inside when she was asleep (or nursing) and a hat with ear flaps for when she wanted to look around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts