Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this blog this morning and wanted to share. I know it could be posted in baby wearing but there is a link there to a facebook page that I found it on and if they were truly interested they would have already read it.

Anywho, this is sad but informational. Its not a study, just a blog.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wish they would recall the dangerous products. I don't see why they haven't. They recalled cribs years ago because the bars were to far apart. I don't see why these 'bag slings' are any different. I wasn't by any means posting this to discourage baby wearing. I still wear my DD and will wear this baby as well. It is a terrific way to encourage bonding and a practical (IMHO) to go on with daily activities without leaving baby in swing, bouncer, etc. I was only posting this so people could see that not all slings/carriers are created equal. There are more 'safe' slings/carriers out there than not. Just another buyer beware situation.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Yeah the article talks about that ONE sling being problematic, and then promotes the upright position with that huge wrap. You can still wear your baby, it's just *how* that matters.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Actually all slings can do this to baby if not worn properly and not the proper size. Thats the sad thing, just like cosleeping IS dangerous if not done properly. I am not saying I do not encourage proper and safe cosleeping/babywearing but I am saying that its sad that things like this do scare some new parents out of doing these things. Instead of encouraging them and helping show them how to do them properly.
I really wish hospitals had ladies who would show parents the importance of proper baby stuff usage. Its great that they show how to use carseats properly and safely install them. But other baby things need thourgh instructions too!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I used a hotsling with DS and it was too large. I didn't realize it was too large at the time - he was my first baby and I didn't know anyone IRL who used a sling. There was no warnings on the website or in the product information, and there were no warnings in anything I had read about babywearing. This is where babywearing differs from co-sleeping - even the very pro-cosleeping information talks about how to do it safely and warns of what can happen if you don't. I read about how to properly wear a sling (but there were no warnings of what the consequences of not wearing it properly were, they just acted as if it was a comfort issue), and at the time I thought I was wearing it properly. I figured it out after a few times because Ds didn't like it and I didn't like it and I started to wonder what was wrong and then finally realized it was too large and ordered a smaller one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.