Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby has had teeth for 3.5 months and since that time has continuously bitten me. She now has 6 teeth (4 up top, 2 on the bottom).
Not only does she bite and let go, but she bites and then yanks herself off. It hurts. A LOT.
I have tried what the lactation consultant suggested - pulling her off each time and saying "no bite, biting hurts mommy, etc."
I noticed that she would bite at the end of a feeding or if I was distracted from her. So I have made conscious efforts to watch her jaw and stay attentive while she is nursing. When holding her, I don't offer the breast but instead let her root for it so that I know she wants it. She still bites me! It happens so fast that I don't even see it coming anymore.
My mother in law suggested flicking her cheek or something similar to associate discomfort after a bite. This was just not in me. I do not want her to fear my hand, especially on her face. So these methods are out for me.
She is nearly 9 months and this is making me want to wean her at a year :-( I had really wanted to make it to 2 years but I do not think I can handle this biting. It is so painful.
Any suggestions for stopping the biting would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
DS was a biter. When he bit, I'd delatch him, say (calmly) "Ouch, no biting." and then I'd hold off for a few bit. Ten minutes or so later, I'd try nursing again, if he bit, repeat above. Eventually, he was more focused on nursing (I guess he got hungry and finally connected biting = end of that nursing session.)

Big reactions didn't work. I stayed calm and let him figure out the cause and effect. Behaviorism at its best.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I think the Dr. Sears book suggests drawing the baby in to you uncomfortably close when s/he bites, so that the baby associates biting with an uncomfortable position not condusive to nursing. My DD bites but thankfully she doesn't have teeth yet...I'm watching out for suggestions though because I see it coming. I hope someone else has suggestions!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It is completely counter intuitive, but when she bites down, pull her in closer. It will kinda squish her nose in and he will release the bite to breath. Natural instinct is to push her away so this will take some training on your part. DD was a biter for a while and this really helped her to stop. Apparently me screaming "OOOWWCH!!" was not enough of a deterrent.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I had to put my kids down on the floor and say "No bite!" to them several times before they finally got it. Sometimes they did it because of teething pain, so I would offer a sip of ice water first or cold washcloth to chew on, and that sometimes would help with pain relief so they would not use ME as the teether. VERY frustrating and HURTS!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The Sears' suggestion worked for us.

dd1 didn't bite 'til she was old enough to understand that "No bites!" and unlatching her meant if she wanted to nurse, she needed to be gentle. She maybe bit twice.

dd2 started earlier with the biting (probably around 10 months) and thought it was funny. I tried the "no bites!" unlatching but what really helped was pulling her close to my breast. Babe has to latch properly in order to breathe when pulled close - and canNOT bite if latched properly.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yep, pull her in. I know the instinct is to pull them back and yell but they really just usually think that's funny
My 10mo has been trying this lately and when I pull her in to me she lets go every time and doesn't usually do it again. I did the same thing with my second baby as well and it worked.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
nak

putting DS down for a break after biting just led to a nursing strike for us.

Pulling him in and squishing his face into me caused him to release his teeth to breathe. It didn't totally stop the biting though. I had to wait until DS was old enough to understand in words that biting hurt before he totally stopped. G/L!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am having this problem as well. DS is 15 months old.

As the OP stated, I can't even see it coming anymore. I can't pull him in because he pulls off with a bite. He is off and gone by the time I realize it.

I, too, am considering weaning. At least actively taking steps to cut down. Last night he drew serious blood.

(my midwife recommended the cheek flick too, and I even tried it...It doesn't work...just made us both unhappy)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
I am having this problem as well. DS is 15 months old.

As the OP stated, I can't even see it coming anymore. I can't pull him in because he pulls off with a bite. He is off and gone by the time I realize it.

I, too, am considering weaning. At least actively taking steps to cut down. Last night he drew serious blood.

(my midwife recommended the cheek flick too, and I even tried it...It doesn't work...just made us both unhappy)
I had to become seriously vigilant during feedings. I held my hand on the back of DS's head so I could quickly squish him in during that parting bite. I sometmes kept a finger close to his mouth to shove in and pry his teeth off. I did endure a painful, infected bite on one nipple (that he continued to bite, extending the duration of the wound
for a few weeks when DS was about the same age as your LO.

It DID get better though, as DS began to understand. AND I really loved having nursing as a tool to deal with DS1's meltdowns when he was in the "terrible 2's" (and 3's for that matter) and when he was sick and didn't want to eat. For those reasons I am glad I stuck it out and didn't wean during that biting phase (even though the phase seems neverending when you're in it).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aran View Post
I had to become seriously vigilant during feedings. I held my hand on the back of DS's head so I could quickly squish him in during that parting bite. I sometmes kept a finger close to his mouth to shove in and pry his teeth off. I did endure a painful, infected bite on one nipple (that he continued to bite, extending the duration of the wound
for a few weeks when DS was about the same age as your LO.

It DID get better though, as DS began to understand. AND I really loved having nursing as a tool to deal with DS1's meltdowns when he was in the "terrible 2's" (and 3's for that matter) and when he was sick and didn't want to eat. For those reasons I am glad I stuck it out and didn't wean during that biting phase (even though the phase seems neverending when you're in it).
That is good advice. I have been looking forward having nursing as a tool as he got older as well. And I especially don't want to prove my family right when they said I would wean when he started to get teeth!

Good to know it may not last too long...and sorry if I hijacked this post!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.