Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 1/2 month old has very bad diareah (sp) and some vomiting. Obviously I want to prevent dehydration. She is bottle fed, and eats no solids. I am trying to feed her small ammonts often, but nothing is staying in her. Any advice of what else to give her to prevent dehydration? It has been about 24 hours now.

Thanks!

Sarah

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Have you tried one of the oral rehydration solutions, like Pedialyte? I would pick some up and try getting it into her ASAP. Try to find a brand that doesn't have artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners in it.

Although this website is mainly focused on breastfeeding, it has a list of the signs and symptoms of dehydration that is helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/baby-illness.html#vomiting

I would also call your ped and talk to him/her, especially if your dd starts showing signs of dehydration.

I hope your baby feels better soon!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hi Sarah! Sorry to hear that your dd isn't feeling so well. Definitely keep an eye out for signs of dehydration, it can happen really fast to an infant and be a very serious problem Call your doctor if you see any of those signs (and don't be afraid to call before then, just to tell him/her about what's going on and get more advice).

Pedialyte also makes popsicles, which might be more appealing to her. Good luck, and I hope she feels better soon! By next week at the latest!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How is your dd?
If she is still throwing up, give her a teaspoon of water at a time until she no longer throws up. Every 10 minutes or so. Once the vomiting stops, then give her probiotics mixed in whatever she is drinking to replace the intestinal flora that she has lost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.