Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 and 1/2 month old will not eat today. I have to pump for her as it is, due to a multitude of problems with breastfeeding (difficulty latching, GERD that led to breast aversion, birth trauma and being intubated at birth to name a few). Anyway, today she is just not eating enough. In the past she has eaten far less than the "average" amount for a day and I think we let her get dehydrated because we didn't know better. Now I am worried about her and wondering at what point I should consider taking her to the hospital or tryi to force feed her fluids with a dropper or something. She already has huge oral aversion issues, so I hate the thought of force-feeding her.

I think it is GERD issues (again), and I just don't know what to do with her.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Maybe try a momsicle? (frozen cube, maybe in a mesh feeder?) or slushy frozen bm. If she's used to it warm, try cold, if she's used to it cold, try warm. Try a sippy cup. Try an open cup. Try a straw- baby bird style (get some in the straw, put your finger over the end and release into her mouth)

Maybe even offer the breast again and see if she's interested.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmh23
Don't have any advice but couldn't read and run, so here's a
You might want to pm USAmma (I think that's it.) Her dd has/had GERD.

Yes, I would pm USAmama (she has much knowledge on reflux especially refusing to eat) What med. is your dd on for her reflux? If she isn't on a PPI yet(such a Prilosec or Prevacid) I would consider one of those if she is one soemthing like Zantac.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also wondering if teething has anything to do with it. She has been teething for 3 months now, off and on, but no tooth yet.

Anyway, thanks mamas for your support and advice. I put some cold BM into a sippy cup and she had a lot of fun with it, and I think some actually wound up in her tummy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.