Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this on "i'm pregnant", but i thought i'd try it here as well.
TIA!

i'm 42weeks and 2days. i've been going in for NST on a regular basis (3 times in the past week and a half). they saw me today, after having seen me on tuesday, and the baby's baseline heart rate went from 140-5 to 115-20. they said it's within normal range, but that they want to keep a close eye on us now. so i have to go back tomorrow, but this time it'll be to L&D, since the antenatal testing center is closed on the weekends. i'm afraid they'll want to keep me, though.

anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? of course i don't want to jeopardize my baby's health, but i also odn't want them to scare me with something that might be fairly normal. i just don't know.

i'm so frustrated, i feel like i've done everything. i'm thinking about doing the castor oil, but i've read here that it can cause the baby to pass meconium, and that scares me too.

the chinese medicine doctor i'm seeing (i've been getting daily accupuncture to try to get things going) says my energy is low and my pulse is weak, most likely due to lack of protein. so she gave me some disgusting brews to drink, and told me to eat 2-3 protein servings at every meal. so i'm working on that as well.

thanks for reading, if you got this far. i guess i just need to vent today. ugh!

·
Registered
532 Posts
youre right, they will likely want to keep you there.
Try some prenatal yoga positions,
there are herbs you can try that will promote labor and then you can labor at home instead of the whole induction in the hospital thing but I would hesitate to recommend them not knowing
either way they are still an intervention...but better at home than in the hospital.
whats going on with the FHTs, were they consistent -did they respond well to stress?
evening primrose oil will help to soften cerviz,
do you have a doula?

mary

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the FTHs? is that fetal heart tones? if yes, then yeah, she was moving and they accelerated to the low 150s, whereas before they'd go up to low 170s. so yeah......

i'm taking blue and black cohosh, and these chinise herbs, doing the EPO (as suppositories, should i be taking them orally as well?), accupuncture, had some sex a couple of days ago (can't really fathom it now, though), and i've been walking as much as my hip pain permits.

i have a doula, yes. i've been talking to her daily.

·
Registered
532 Posts
wow
you are doing alot
how long have you been on the cohosh?
how much are you taking? just curious,
yes, you can take the EPO internally also,

Are you getting to rest any at all? I know it may sound crazy but eatting healthy protein and mabe having a glass of red wine to relax, and trying to just sleep, might energize you?

one last suggection, a chiropractic adjustment.

and may I commend you at your commitment to go into labor outside of the hospital,
GO GIRL

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!

i've been taking 1000mg of each of the cohoshes twice a day for the past 3 days.

i'm thinking on doing the castor oil tonight. 1/2 oz of oil, 1/2oz ov vodka, and tons of OJ. does that sound good??

thanks for replying!!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Im not sure I could personally stomach the vodka and the castor oil,
not sure about the whole castor oil thing,
My thoughts are if I were to do it I would want to be sure I was well nourished because I might go into labor and be in labor for a while
also hydrated.
also

maybe get quiet and think about whats going on,
any fears or apprehention
maybe write a letter,write about this, Dearest babe I want you to come out now but...
is there a but?

and I would focus on good positioning, birthball types of posture, did that make sense?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I wouldn't take vodka with caster oil; alcohol is a smooth muscle relaxer, and that is not what you want.

We recommend a couple of tablespoons of castor oil (up to an ounce, but at least 1/2 ounce) with orange juice or in an ice cream float. Take at 8 am and again at noon.

We have not seen an increase in meconium with castor oil use. It is a fact that there is more likely to be meconium in the waters if the baby goes way over due. Most women try the castor oil if they are way overdue. So is the mec caused by the castor oil or by the fact that mom is overdue?

Either the castor oil works or it doesn't. We either see a baby, usually by midnight (or even way before), or we dont' see one for a couple of days. Castor oil only works (in my opinion) if the mom is ready to go anyhow. If the cervix is thinning, soft, moving to the anterior position, starting to dilate, then castor oil usually works. If your cervix is far back, long, firm, and you haven't been having any braxton hicks contractions, don't bother with the castor oil. It won't work.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep your fluid levels up. Plenty of deep breathing to get good oxygen to the babe. Anything to facilitate good blood flow; a good mix of moderate activity (like a nice walk, not too brisk) and rest. Good positioning with rest; spend plenty of time lying on your right or left side on the couch or bed, a pillow between your knees to maintain good alighnment.

Sounds corny as well, but visualizations and talking to your baby really does help. Visualize your healthy baby. Visualize your blood flowing through your healthy placenta to nourish your baby. Talk to your body and your baby. Tell your baby you are ready for her to come. That you love her and you want to see her. That your body is strong and healthy and that the two of you are ready to experience a beautiful, empowering birth.

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes!

Lori

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Castor oil works because it's molecules are so big your body doesn't know what to do with them, so it purges them- giving you diarrhea. My midiwves were of the opinion that cohosh was much more likely to cause meconium than castor oil. I have also read that castor oil is better for stimulating a stalled labor than for starting up a labor. GOod luck!
Lauren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.