Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 3 months and had a cold last week, but wasn't too bothered by it. Then Friday he refused to nurse a few times. He was up like a newborn Friday night, and was fine, but congested/coughing during the day. Saturday night was the worst, lots of crying. I put a few drops of breastmilk in each ear, because I didn't know which one, and called the nurseline. He slept during the night, but was up every couple hours to nurse like a newborn, but he nursed. Sunday morning I decided not to bring him in, he refused to nurse once, and I dropper-fed him EBM, and made the garlic/olive oil drops and put in his ear. Sunday during the day he was happy, but congested and nursed often and pulled on his left ear. Last night was similar to the other nights, up every few hours to nurse. (he has been sleeping through the night since 6.5 weeks until this weekend). I'm at work now, he is at home with DH. I came in later than usual to nurse him, and will nurse him at lunch. He was playing, but cough/congested when I left.

This morning I called a chiropractor, but they can't see him until tomorrow afternoon.

I am not opposed to antibiotics and going to the ped, but wanted to try natural stuff first. He is not unhappy or refusing to nurse anymore, but his cough/congestion is still here. Should I try to get him in to the ped today? How often should he get BM in the ear anyway? Should I do the garlic thing again?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Way to go for waiting! I didn't wait with my little guy's first ear infection and we left the ped's office with-of course, antibiotics. At least I did natural stuff too and thank goodness he hasn't had another one since.

The garlic oil drops are good and certainly can be repeated. You could also purchase premade garlic/mullien drops at a health food store. My sister would swear by the mullien, if she swore. Since you are nursing, you could also add garlic to your own diet to get it to your babe that way. Adding probiotics for yourself, or for infant via powder dissolved in breastmilk, will also help. Know also that delaying antibiotics (as you have already done if you do eventually give them) is better that using right away because it allows the immune system to react to the germs and remember the next time exposure occurs.

AskDrSears.com is a good resource for natural immunity boosters and treatments you can do at home for colds and such.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I would only see the ped if the baby is extreme pain, running a fever for several days above about 100, and it's not going away. I would also encourage you to see the ped if your baby continues to get them, esp, if they rupture (you will find goo/crust coming out of his ear). Too many ruptures leads to lifetime hearing impariment. I have known two children who had hearling loss b/c of rupture. Luckily it's not that common.

Also, if your baby continues to get them and they are not accociated with a cold, it could be alleriges, esp. dairy.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
you can attempt to open up his canals by yourself while waiting for your chiro appointment. Put your hands alongs his jawbone in front of his ears and apply a small, even amount of preessure pulling out towards his chin. Don't actually pull, just apply pressure. Try it on yourself to get the feeling of what you are doing.

This will relieve some of the pressure. The garlic oil is perfect most of the time, good call! Maybe some TTO/ camphor steam for his nose and cough.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ediesmom
you can attempt to open up his canals by yourself while waiting for your chiro appointment. Put your hands alongs his jawbone in front of his ears and apply a small, even amount of preessure pulling out towards his chin. Don't actually pull, just apply pressure. Try it on yourself to get the feeling of what you are doing.

This will relieve some of the pressure. The garlic oil is perfect most of the time, good call! Maybe some TTO/ camphor steam for his nose and cough.
Thank you, ediesmom!

I just did that to myself and my ears 'popped' and I felt drainage down into my throat. I hadn't even realized there was pressure there until that technique removed it.

Would there be any harm in doing this to dd daily, as a preventative? She's battled ear infections before, and I am concerned about the upcoming cold/flu season. We are planning to take her in for an adjustment soon, too.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

I am not an expert, and your chiro would be able to give you the 'true' answer, but I would only do the manipulation when necessary. I think if you caught it at the first signs it would be as helpful as doing it preventatively.
ediesmom

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Just wanted to add... I wouldn't use abx but I WOULD make a doc's appointment for maybe 10 days or 2 weeks time to make sure the ear is clear. Just so you know there's no fluid hanging around affecting his hearing or waiting to get infected again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I realized I DO have garlic tablets just sitting in my drawer. I bought them when I was trying to pass my GBS test when I was pregnant (still failed it). We went to the chiropractor today and ds has been not showing symptoms tonight, and just fell asleep on me. We go back Thursday. I hope this works, it's too early to tell, I'll update, but I don't plan to see a ped at this point.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Per our chiro - try stimulating the lymphs to help drain some fluid - rub along the jawline, on either side of the muscle in the neck (on each sides below the ear), rubbing down towards the heart. Do it a couple times a day.

Dealing with ear issues ourselves these days...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.