Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you doing for your baby's last name(s)? I'd like to give this baby both names, but am not sure how. I'm very set on my first and middle names, so I won't use my maiden name as a middle name for baby. I've heard that if I give 2 last names w/o hyphenating then it gets confusing. Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with this? I've been warned that in school it will be difficult for the child with multiple names but we homeschool so no worries there...

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Our family share a last name, and that is what this baby will get as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I didn't take my DH's name, but the kid(s) have it with no remnants of my maiden name. Honestly, we would have hyphenated if it sounded ok. But we're not the Smith-Jones family to say the least! So the kids will have DH's name and I will continue legally as my maiden name. Although socially we can go by our family name and it doesn't bother me.

The non-hyphen thing- I think that without the hyphen that the first last name will be left out, similar to how a middle name is.

Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We're giving algernon both last names, un-hyphenated. My last name is the same (W*** P*******). I never have problems using both names, so I don't think it will be a big issue for him/her either. I don't particularly care if the baby goes by only my husband's last name in school, though.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
DS has DH's last name, and this little boy will, too. Our names don't flow together very well hyphenated, so although I am technically hyphenated, I have always just used the maiden portion of my last name, because the whole thing together is too akward.

I have always thought, though, that if I had a girl I would push to give her my last name only. I like the idea of a girl having a connection to all of her maternal ancestors through her name. My DH would have a hard time with it (he still struggles with the fact that I didn't take his last name, and we've been married 10 years! LOL!), but I think he'd give in.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
DS has his father's last name and so will this baby. DS's first name is my maiden name, which I still have. It was a nice thought, but sort of impractical and now I feel like this baby won't have near as much connection to my family, IYKWIM. We're planning to use either my grandmother's maiden name for a middle name for a boy or her first name if it's a girl (she passed away last summer), so that's nice. It still feels a little awkward tho.

I like the idea of a girl having my last name only - it's a good thought. I wonder how practical it would be? Having two children with different last names...hmmm.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
when dh and i got married we combined our names w/ a hyphen so we both have the same last name and all of our kids have the same last name and no one had to give up a name. It does make it pretty long and we do have to correct people that it is 1 name and they can't just drop half but I am very happy that we did it and so far it is not a problem w/ my kiddos (just in pre-school though)

·
Registered
273 Posts
DH and i decided long ago that if we have a boy he will have DH's last name and if we have a girl she will have my last name (I didn't take his name when we married).

both of us are dead set against hyphenating and because we both have divorced and re-partnered parents, there is a total of 5 different last names among our families - and everyone still knows who everyone is and that they are loved by all of them, regardless of last name. I really don't think it will be so confusing. Of course my MIL thinks we are completely nuts, but that's nothing new!

·
Registered
137 Posts
DH and I were not married when DS#1 was born, and even when we did marry, I didn't take his last name. Both the boys are "hyphens" and any future children will be too...we just refer to ourselves as the name-name family

Jennifer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts