Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, but I definately need some advice. I have a three year old and a newborn. Our babysitter left the baby in his cosleeper and took my toddler a few blocks over to a neighbor's house to see her rabbits "just for a minute." I figure it had to be at least half an hour (based on the distance and the speed that my daughter travels). I'm freaking out about this. What would you do? Fire her? Talk to her? And if you talked with her, what would you say? I'm seriously worried about her judgment. Will she think it's ok to leave my daughter somewhere in public "just for a minute?"

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
How old is the babysitter? How long has she been babysitting for you? Have there been any other suspicious incidents, or has she been completely trustworthy up until now?

My gut reaction is to fire her, after talking to her sternly about how dangerous what she did was in the hopes that she applies the lesson to any future babysitting jobs she may get.

It's so hard to foresee things that might happen with a babysitter and address them when you're listing your expectations at the beginning of your employer/employee relationship, but you'd think keeping the kids within earshot would be a given!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Fire her. No doubt about it. I've been a babysitter/nanny for years and understand the importance of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, but if you actually know that she left your property with your baby at home, for longer than just a moment, for a non-emergency...there's no excuse. That's scary. That shows a lack of common sense, among other things, and no amount of talking to her will change that.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Definately get rid of her. If this happened once chances are it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I also say explain why what she did was unacceptable then fire her. I couldn't imagine leaving my kids alone with her again after that. You couldn't have known that she'd do it once, but now you know.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I agree with the PPs, fire her, I would explain firmly but kindly that this is not acceptable and that you cannot trust her again.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I agree, fire her. You baby is about 5 months right? So rolling over or certainly in the window of being able to roll at anytime. She could have rolled right from the co-cleeper across the bed and onto the floor injuring herslef and no one is home to hear it. certainly your monitor does extend that far.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I'd fire her. Even if you gave her a talking to and she never again left the baby alone in the house to walk blocks away (!!!!), it's likely she would do something else equally dangerous.
It might be wise to go with a sitter with more experience and/or training (like a nanny from an agency).

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I would make sure to talk to the babysitter about the issue. Don't be mad or mean - it won't help. Just sit down, have a reasonable conversation with her explaining why what she did was inappropriate and dangerous, and tell her that under the circumstances you don't feel comfortable having her babysit for you anymore, and you hope she'll never leave another baby or child unattended.

I don't know how old she is, but it sounds like a teenager (?) who has no kids of her own. At that age, it's easy to make a huge mistake like this and not realize how bad it is. I think it's important to educate and punish her (will not be using her services again) without alienating her by being angry or mean.

HTH. I'm glad your babe was okay.

Julia
dd 1 year old

ETA: I think you can do this talk over the phone if you want. It'll be embarrassing enough for the babysitter. Unless she's your next door neighbor's kid or something, I think a phone call would do.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all, you've confirmed my instincts. To answer your questions, she's 23, has lots of experience and great references (which, if you think about it, makes it even more nerve-wracking to hire babysitters). I couldn't sleep last night, imagining all the other situations that could come up and how she might handle them - leaving my kids with friends, leaving my toddler in public, walking away from the stroller, etc. etc.

Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation! Ugh! Well, I agree with other posters. I think you should fire her. But, I think you should tell her why you are firing her because you don't want her to do this to other parents in the future. She probably wasn't thinking about what she was doing, but you have to explain the gravity of the situation. Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What is scary is she told you. I don't want to imagine what she thought might not be acceptable to tell you.
:

I would let her go. If she was 14 that is one thing. SHe is old enough to be married and have a family of her own!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by STBSM View Post
WOW, I would ask but my mind would have been made up already. She would have been gone after I voiced my concern and anger towards what she did.
I agree.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with everyone here. I would sit her down tell her (calmly) how it was inappropriate and dangerous for her to leave my child alone and I would let her know she is no longer the babysitter for my children.
On side note - most babysitters have a two-week notice clause - does she? If so, I would definitely let her know that in this situation it does not apply due to child endangerment.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
She would no longer be working for me. She left ehe baby ALONE and was

Quote:
a few blocks over to a neighbor's house
. Not acceptable. Who would have helped that baby if there had been a fire? A burglar? What if baby needed to be fed? Changed?

I am seriously at a loss right now. There is NO excuse for her to accept money from you to tend after your children if she leaves and does NOT watch your children.

She would be fired and I would make it clear why she is being fired. I would also make clear that you will not be able to give her a positive recommendation if asked for it. Not matter how great she may be otherwise. She did leave a NEWBORN in a home alone and was 'a few blocks away'.

Not cool.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.