Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak

I really have no experience with this age - 3 years old. Right now, he's parked at the top of my stairs, just sitting there.

It's not a problem to me, really. I mean, he's sitting still, I don't think he's in danger of hurting himself.

I've asked him to come down but he refuses.

I've told him about the fun things we'll do today, and my DS (13 months) is awake and ready to play.

So what do I do? What do I expect? What are 3 year olds like?

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 3 yo loves to talk!
But if he is a little shy, I'd find something fun to do, does he like coloring, glueing, or cutting? Let him know that he can come down and use some markers/ crayons when he wants to. Then get everything out and wait. If he does not join you within a few minutes, ask him what he usually does with his mother? Try to get him talking.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response!

I've got him downstairs now - he wanted to be carried. That's fine, it's a long flight of stairs, so whatever works.

He's a very sweet, smart little boy, and he does love to talk too.

I watched him a couple months ago, and we had fun but it was exhausting (my DS skipped his naps, he was having so much fun).

So the stairs issue has been resolved, but I'm still curious about your three year olds.

I'm glad to hear you mention crayons - I hadn't thought of that.

The good news is that the weather is great here today, and we have a new swingset. Last time, we were stuck inside for 9 hours.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
my almost 3yo loves to:

'help' with things around the house - water the plants, load/empty silverware into/from the dishwasher, stir anything that needs to be stirred

dress up with some of my t-shirts or night gowns

play with a sink full of water and a few dishes

be read to

also, sometimes we go to Sesame Street or Nick Jr. or Playhouse Disney - when I need a break from running all around, or we need to get out of the sun for awhile.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was wondering if he'd want to help with some little things today.

Right now they're playing together and we've read a couple books. And I'm still trying to wake up.

When it warms up a little bit, we'll head outside. I was planning on filling some little tubs with water for them to play in.

Thanks for the responses - I'm checking in at the computer every now and then to say "hey" to my mommy friends on iM. Gotta love the internet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts