Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the average rate for babysitting around here? I'm on the North Shore. I might babysit a friend's child in my house for a few hours a week.. not daycare really, just babysitting. What's a good hourly rate to ask for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi Rachel

For my 2 kiddos, I pay $8/hr for our high school sitter, $12/hr for our college sitter, $15/hr for an adult sitter (a Mom and brings her little one with her), and $20/hr for another adult sitter who is a former teacher with many years of childcare & teaching experience.

HTH!

ETA: I'm on the North Shore too, but you already knew that

=================
Mama to DS 5/03 & DD 2/06
:

: April is Cesarean Awareness Month

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
This is good to know. I really want to start babysitting too here and there and I'm on the North Shore--I am shocked though at how much you will pay/hour MAMom. That's great, though. The worker is worth her wage, I guess. But this also makes me think I will never be able to hire a babysitter!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post
This is good to know. I really want to start babysitting too here and there and I'm on the North Shore--I am shocked though at how much you will pay/hour MAMom. That's great, though. The worker is worth her wage, I guess. But this also makes me think I will never be able to hire a babysitter!
I know, it's not cheap! But, I think an any sitter who I'm entrusting my children with should be paid a fair rate, b/c as we all know, it's hard work! Most house cleaners charge at least $20/hr, and I want my childcare providers to be more skilled than my (very, very occasional) house cleaner

I've never found a college age sitter in this area who charges less than $12 (many charge around $15), and quite frankly, I only use the high school sitter when I need to do stuff around the house and am at home, or am going out for a short amount of time very close to home.

A good, trustworthy sitter is worth her weight in gold IMHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.