Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We just got the first snow of the season here, and the city where I live is not always on top of de-icing the sidewalks and stairs and whatnot. Even if they are, when it keeps snowing and getting packed down it gets pretty slippery. I am kind of scared of slipping and falling while wearing DS. I always use handrails when going down stairs, but what to do when walking down the street? It makes it even harder when I can't see my feet (at this stage I prefer to wear DS in front, and can't get him on my back alone anyway). I have really good winter boots that have sturdy rubber soles, but I have slipped in them before when it's really icy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>With the ice and packed snow, I sort of feel more comfortable using the stroller, but I don't want to give up babywearing this winter. What to do?</p>

·
Registered
188 Posts
<p>I'm not the most stable person on my feet on a regular day, throw in snow and a baby attached to me and...</p>
<p>Well, I've fallen quite a few times, with the baby on my front and on my back. I've fallen in Ergos and a few different wraps, and I've never even come close to hurting the baby. Me, on the other hand... ow.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Try it out in slow motion - when you land on your butt, the baby stays safe. When you land on your front, your hands come out in front and protect the baby from hitting the ground.</p>

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
<p>I am very clumsy on ice. These or similar products have saved my butt many a time in the last few years!  There are definitely cheaprt knockoffs to be found.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.yaktrax.ca/en/order.htm#traction" target="_blank">http://www.yaktrax.ca/en/order.htm#traction</a></p>

·
Registered
259 Posts
<p>As PP has said if you fall on your bottom your baby will be fine.  If you fall forward you'll either twist and wrap your arms around baby (so they'll be protected) or you'll put your hands forward for the same reason.  Just think what would happen if you were pushing the stroller and fell.  You'll either flip it back over on top of you and hurt your baby or worse yet (and more likely) shove off it with tremendous force and send it careening down the sidewalk and possibly into the street!  :(  I'd much rather wear with the minimal risk from me falling then lose control of the stroller, kwim?  HTH!</p>

·
Registered
562 Posts
<p>I agree with PPs -- I fell going down an icy hill with baby in the front, and my body automatically went straight down so I landed on both knees.  Painful for me, baby didn't even wake up!  You will instinctively twist every which way to protect baby. </p>

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
<p>I fell down the stairs once with DD on my chest.  She was sleeping and did not even wake up!  I remember being shocked to find one hand holding her head so her neck wouldn't jostle because it happened so fast.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do try to be very mindful when I am walking carrying her, and I almost fell over the other day on some ice.  I lean forward a bit if she is on my back, so that if I were to fall, I would fall forward.  I don't worry about her being on my chest for reasons PPs have stated.</p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>I don't wear baby outdoors in the winter. The risk to her is not worth it imho. We do live somewhere with lots of snow and tons of cold and that plays a big factor in it (not just in a city with occasional cold/snowy weather). Dd goes into a warm cozy stroller if we are walking outdoors and into her carrier if we are going into a store or something.</p>

·
Registered
277 Posts
<p>I wore DS all winter his first year. I would have gone insane otherwise. We walk everywhere and take transit, so a stroller is just not practial in winter snow - I HATE pushing the stroller through snow, and the size the snowbanks get in Toronto sometimes, it can be a <em>huge</em> problem to get where you want to go. I invested in a good pair of winter boots (from New Balance - they have some kind of specila rubber on the bottom and good grip - they hang on to ice pretty well). The few times I've fallen it's been onto my butt and babe was on my front so no damage at all. The most uinstable I feel is in the subway station - tile floor gets very slick when wet and I worry about the stairs. I always hold the railing or take the escalator.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oh, and I got a down-filled babywearing coat so that it zips up right around DS and keeps him warm. I dressed him in a fleece snowsuit instead of his big puffy one, otherwise he would have been overheated. I found it a challenge to know how warmly to dress him for the stroller - I never knew how cold he got in there, or if he could breathe under all those layers, or whatever.</p>

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
<p>I second the recommendation for buying a pair of ice-walkers that strap on to your shoes or boots.  Yak trax, stable icers, etc... (lots of kinds).  I live in an icy part of Alaska, and it's often necessary for people to wear these in winter, regardless of whether or not they're carrying a baby.  If you don't feel comfortable walking in your normal shoes, this will fix it.  If you do feel comfortable walking in just your shoes, don't worry about the baby - your instincts will protect them fine if you fall.  I have never owned a stroller (and it would be utterly impractical where I live), and I wear my 22 month old in a wrap all the time on icy rutted trails, hikes, slick streets, etc...  I just wear appropriate footwear for the conditions (and bring a ski pole on the icy rutted trails). </p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts