Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the park today with ds running around and dd snoozing in the Kozy on my back, and an African woman came up to me to tell me she knew I had a baby on my back as soon as she saw me from across the park! She told me that she wore her babies growing up in Africa, and said she would walk for miles with them tied on her back with a piece of cloth. She's a nanny here in the US now (her oldest charge is now starting college) and she said she babywore some of her charges when they were little and fussy. We talked about how soothing and comforting it is for babies to be walked around on the back, and how much work you can get done!

It was a great conversation!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Isn't it fun when that happens? I once took the kids to an egg hunt or something at my parents' church and a Nigerian woman who is a member there same up and said "How do you know how to do that??" She was really surprised and said she had not seen any other American women doing it. I had on a MW.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Very cool! I work with a man from Africa, and he was impressed that I knew how to wear my baby on my back like his wife did. He thought it was such a great thing and wondered why all Americans didn't do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.