Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible?
We are going to the fair tonight (we got free tickets and a parking pass), and we have to rent a wheelchair for me. Which means besides the wheel chair we will also have a double stroller and a hyper 5yr old.

I plan on letting the 5yr old walk next to the wheelchair...shouldnt be a problem me wheeling myself around instead of being pushed. But when he gets tired, or when we go to look at the exibits, he will need to be sitting. I dont see him sitting on my lap, so I am thinking to set him in the stroller and take one of the twins in the wheelchair with me.

I cant babywear right now due to the extraweight of my kids, and my pregnancy issues, and "butt" rest and what not. I have a MT, and I was thinking that in the wheelchair, it would be easier because technically I wouldnt be carrying the extra weight around and hurting myself, but I still need to be able to wheel myself around without a kid trying to jump off me.

So do you think the MT will work? Im thinking lossely around my waist and shoulders so that I can have him face out but still be secured, so to speak.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I used a Gypsy Mama wrap when I was in a wheel chair due to pregnancy issues. I also used a RS while in a chair. I felt that the weight wasn't an issue for me when using a sling of some sort. It actually made me feel easier. It does make things harder to push, your arms will be very sore. Best of luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've given this a lot of thought and have had some clients in wheel chairs. The rules are different. For standing up babywearing, you want baby high and tight; above your belly button. For sitting down babywearing, that doesn't apply. You need something that is specific to the development age of the baby. For a newborn, still high and tight. But for a one year old, you just want them to sit and not risk tumbling out of your lap. It's a continuum between the two points of development. I'd make it up. A wrap is a great idea but I played around with it and I found that it made my shoulders more tired. I would think out of the box. For example, can you loosley secure the baby to your torso? Or can you secure the baby loosely to the wheelchair itself? That depends upon the style of the wheelchair and whether you'll be doing the wheels or someone will be pushing you (or maybe it won't). Also, most outdoor wheelchairs have really uncomfy seats so make sure to have a pillow; that extra weight in your lap is going to be extra hard on the tail bones if you are in one of those collapsible seats.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We ended up using a MT to lossely secure the one twin to me but so that he could still look around and was forward facing out.

It was a little rough at first, specially since I was wheeling myself, but we got it down. My arms hurt today though..lol..and the pillow idea...dang I wish I woulda thought of that yesterday..LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.