Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me I'm not a horrible Mom!!! I feel just awful.

Sunday night, we all decided to take an evening walk. It was my DH, 2.5 yr old, 15 mo old, and our dog. I had Mia, my 15 mo old, in the Ergo on my hip. This was the first time I'd really carried her for an extended time on my hip, usually she's on my back. Anyway, long story short, DD#1 was running behind me and ran into my legs and somehow tripped me. I fell with Mia attached to me and her whole left side (arm, leg, knee, etc.) is totally scraped up.

I feel awful, even though I know it was an accident. Have any of you fellow babywearers fallen or had close calls?

My family was totally against me wearing Mia, and now they're making their case even more apparent by saying it's now "unsafe", as if I already didn't feel bad enough.
:

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
What a scary thing to have happen. If you had just been holding her she could have flung out of your arms and really hurt herself. Do they think you should never hold her?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I've fallen twice with DD in the sling. Both times she was on my hip and both times had she not been in the sling she would have sustained damage. The first time was down our stairs. The second time was outside off the curb. Both times her head came close to getting whacked. I felt HORRIBLE after it happened but then DH would point out had I not had her like that she would have fallen out of my arms. As it was she was just scared from the sudden change of pace.
to you mama! It's hard sometimes.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
There are a lot of scenarios that she could have been in that same situation regardless of being worn or not. If you were holding her the same thing could have happened. And like the pp said - a stroller can tip over.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I fell just over a month ago. My 2 1/2 year old was on my front in a mei tai. I felt awful and still do, but I know it could have been much worse. We were walking down a small incline on asphalt to feed the ducks & my ankle gave away. Had I have dropped him there is no telling how far he would flew away from me, or what he might have hit in the process (we were between a vehicle & a fence). He informed me I was the worst mommy ever & was really mad at me for several hours. I know he was just upset and scared, but that's exactly how I felt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
What a scary thing to have happen. If you had just been holding her she could have flung out of your arms and really hurt herself. Do they think you should never hold her?
Very true. Thanks for the support, fellow babywearers!

My fam is from the CIO, FF only, strict schedule, hold baby as little as possible mindset. Needless to say, I'm the black sheep. But, that's okay, I like being an oddball sometimes.
We butt heads quite often, but I wouldn't change a thing! They'd never even THOUGHT of a babywearing "device" as they call it before I had my DD!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was at the grocery store, unloading groceries to purchase them. DS (8 mo.) was in the Ergo on my back, and my 3 y/o dd was in the cart. Suddenly I felt something under my foot that almost made me fall (I caught myself, fortunately). I turned around, and the janitor was MOPPING UNDERNEATH ME!!! WHAT?! Yeah, he was mopping underneath my feet! I told him I had a baby on me and one in the cart (implying that he really ought to be careful), so he said "I'm trying to mop." um yeah I can see that now that you've tried to trip me!

You know what... if you would've been holding your dd (instead of in the Ergo), she probably would've gotten MORE scraped up. The Ergo probably protected whatever part of her was inside of it.

(((hugs)))

-Elizabeth

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
I bet if you did some searching for stats, you would find more babies that are injured from strollers than from being worn/carried.

I have rarely used strollers, but twice, I have had them fold up on my babies.
: Thankfully, only once was there a pinched finger, otherwise they were fine.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Aww... Is she ok??? Poor girl!

I was hiking this spring, I saw a dad carrying his son in a soft carrier on his back. The kind you can get at WalMart.

He was climbing up some very steep rocks, that are hard to get up even without a 16 lb child on your back, when a German shepard dog came running DOWN the same rocks. He (the dog) knocked the dad backwards. The Dad tried to land on his butt only, but he just kept falling and falling.....it was horrible. I'm sure the child is OK now, but he was definately hurt.

Give your kids a hug!! I bet your son felt bad. It was an accident.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cch
He informed me I was the worst mommy ever & was really mad at me for several hours.
OMG! That made me smile!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sophmama
There are a lot of scenarios that she could have been in that same situation regardless of being worn or not. If you were holding her the same thing could have happened. And like the pp said - a stroller can tip over.
Exactly. Ugh. Like mothers never fall when they are simply carrying their babies. Geez.
I'm glad you're both okay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A friend of mine had a fall when she had her DS in a sling on a busy street and people walked over and around her to cross the street! She was a little shaken up and had a few scrapes, but she and baby were okay.
s: to you mama. I think it was better she was in the sling. She could have rolled all over the place.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have fallen twice while dd was in carriers. The first time she was asleep on my back in the wrap. Stockholm is not very good at removing snow so the sidewalks are not the safest. I fell, landed on my bum but did lean back and she did touch the ice. I was very lucky that there were people outside when it happened. A man came over to help me up. If he didn't I would have had to scoot my way to a non-icy patch. Dd slept through the whole thing.

Second time I went over on my ankle while going from curb to crosswalk. She was in the sling on my front. In true mamma style I put one arm across her and broke my fall with the other. I went face first on to the road. There was a car waiting to cross and the man got out to see if I was ok and another person came from the sidewalk to help. Dd wasn't hurt and didn't cry until I started bawling. I sprained my ankle but I felt worse about falling when she was in the sling.

Both times I comforted myself with the facts that if I had been carrying her in my arms either times she would have been more hurt. It's awful when it happens though.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
"I know of a baby that nearly DIED in a homebirth, so homebirth is DANGEROUS!!!" "Really, you've never known of a baby that did die in a hospital? Wow, how special for you."

It's just bad logic.
it off.

That said...

So, so sorry this happened to you!
How scary. At least you're both more-or-less alright, if scraped and shaken.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am so sorry, Mama. I've fallen holding my children, while NOT even wearing them! It's so scary.

FWIW, I was outside of Barnes and Noble a few years back. A lady was holding her granddaughter and walking along. The girl was about 1.5 years old. The lady fell while holding her, the girl hit her head SO hard. It scared all of us standing there so badly. But she just tripped, it wasn't her fault. Had she been wearing her granddaughter, it would have happened all the same!

Really, it is bad logic. Wearing vs. holding in your arms is close to the same thing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rozzie'sma
Strollers tip over too, especially if they have a diaper bag on the back

They also can fall forward. There was a mom I saw last month who hit a large crack in the sidwalk with the stroller, the stroller stopped cold, mom fell onto and over the stroller knocking it over forward and her toddler out onto the ground. Fortunately everyone was fine, but it was a scary moment.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have fallen while dd was in a wrap. I was wearing those darn dansko professional clogs and turned my ankle. I fell onto one hand and my knees, with the other hand up around dd's head. Man, I ripped a hole in my jeans, scraped up both knees and my hand and sprained my ankle. Plus, I was crying, dd was crying. Luckily she wasn't hurt, just startled (I took her to the chiropractor later thinking the jarring might have whipped her around a bit, but she was fine), but I thought the same thing, that if she wasn't in the carrier, she would have been hurt pretty badly. It was scary!

to you mama and good for you for going against the grain with your family to follow your heart in parenting. You're doing the right thing! Glad both of you are doing okay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts