Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I've got a friend with low supply issues and she'd like to try babywearing both to up supply and to encourage better weight gain. She's got a stretchy wrap and I have both padded and unpadded ring slings that I'm happy to lend her. What would be best? I'm guessing the wrap, with her topless and the babe in just a dipe. Does that sound right? What carry would be best? This is a small baby - about 6 pounds and only 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
What a wonderful idea! I think both cradle or tummy to tummy will probably work best. I'd just have her try both to see what works for her and baby and offer the breast whenever she feels the baby will nurse or when she feels let down. Just the skin to skin contact will be wonderful for the baby!
Let us know how she does!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ooh that does sound like a super idea. I am definitely going to try that more with my next baby (oh oh what am I thinking). I like wraps so a stretchy one would be so comfy for a newborn, not to mention easy for the mom since they can stay in there for so long. With a ring sling I always had to have one hand on baby's neck because I was afraid it would fall back funny but with a wrap you can just pull the fabric right over the baby's head. Also I had problems with my ring sling compressing my breasts too tightly and making them hurt so a wrap would have been so much better.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think a stretchy wrap is a great idea for this. It may take some experimenting to find the best nursing position, though. Kind of an upright cradle should work. mamatoto.org may have some info on this.
I also found an unpadded ring sling easy to nurse in hands free, with the baby's head resting against and supported by the outer rail opposite the ring side. This is hard for some people to master though, and it's easier with bigger babies. Still, it's something to try if she has trouble with the wrap option.
Is she taking herbs for supply as well? I highly recommend motherloveherbals more milk plus. It works very quickly and is higly effective.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yes, I really do because it has several galactagogues working in synergy with each other for maximum potency. I used to carry it when I owned Mothersville and I had a lot of working moms take it and double their pumping capacity when they were not pumping enough. The company has a store finder on their site, so you may be able to find it in your area, or you can order it on-line. Also, remind her to drink enough water and eating oatmeal for breakfast is a good idea, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts