Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
My first two babies were posterior with excruciating back labor for hours...torture!!

Anyway, I NEVER cross my legs. NEVER.

The reason I NEVER, EVER cross my legs is because I have a very strong hereditary tendency to have varicose veins and I know that crossing your legs can cut off circulation and thereby aggravate the tendency to develop varicose veins.

My maternal grandmother and my mom both had horrendous awful purple, green and blue legs.

I saw my first varicose vein on the inside of my left calf when I was fourteen, after an active life of ballet, jogging, and swimming. I have always wore support hose, and kept my legs elevated as much as possible since the point in my life.

Furthermore, I read that link, and I do not agree. I have to say that I exercised alot during all four of my pregnancies and labors which included, bicycling, jogging, walking, weighlifting, stretching, squatting, and my first two labors were the worst even though I exercised more during my first two pregnancies since I had the time.

I get the joke, too, reader and mamabutterfly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I really truly think my baby was posterior because of a really uncomfortable work chair and sitting on the sofa!!! So, use a birthing ball when you are lounging around and keep your knees lower than your pelvis when you are sitting on chairs, sofa's etc. I had awful back labor.......but my baby kept moving around all the time...one day she would be in a great position, then after a day at work, I could feel her in a different position....................I think the spinning babies link is great! Also acupuncture!!!

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reader
Which part do you not agree with, applejuice?

I'm not sure what the joke is.

I am just saying that I never cross my legs, before, during or after any of my four pregnancies. I still had two very long and painful posterior labors. That is all. I am afraid of developing varicose veins that are anything like my mom's or grandmother's, so I have never crossed my legs.

The joke? -

Quote:
"It's not crossing your legs that is the problem"
- as in having sex...Is that the way you meant it? Sorry, I did not mean to make fun.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My mom had back labor with me and though I wouldn't say I had "back labor", my first dd was born sunny side up. (At eight pounds, ick!!!!!!)

I'm fairly certain that all my moms kids were posterior, even though she only had back labor with the first. Luckily she never had a baby over 6.5 pounds.

I think hip shape has a lot to do with it.

I was terrifid of back labor so I did cat-cow stuff, being on all fours, etc constantly while PG with #1. I was conscience never ever to lean back or lie on my back once I was in third trimester...

Still the kid was born sunny side up.

I'd say genetics and hip shape are a big, big factor for me.

My babies also go head down early. The first dropped at 32 weeks, my baby in utero now has been down for weeks now. I think they fall in posterior and later can't turn around because their heads have moulded to the birth canal. My babies also tend to like my right side more than my left as well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my mw just told me that besides positioning exercises, there is a homeopathic drug called pulsatilla that, when taken in labor, turns babies from posterior to anterior! there is a thread in the uc forum on it right now
I am SOOOO excited to know about this now!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I think the actual affect of pulsatilla is to relax the uterus enough to let the baby roate out of being posterior? That's what I've heard at least. So probably taken along with some hands/knees and other positions during labor would help the baby turn.

--Grace

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing I don't understand is what is the magic of the birthing ball? Please fill me in. Also, it seems like you might sink into it and then your knees would be higher than your pelvis??? I was thinking about taking a birthing ball to work to substitute my chair, but was wondering the real point? Also, when people say don't lie back, does that mean like reclining chairs or what? Also, how about sitting criss-cross-applesauce? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemomma
One thing I don't understand is what is the magic of the birthing ball? Please fill me in.
I think the magic of the birthing ball is that it pushes your belly forward and stretches your legs in a way in the direction of a squat.

I had back labor with the first (my mother also had back labor with me), so I was worried that it was just my shape. With my second pg I was very aware of how I sat and rested (all the time). Very conscious never to lean back (on the sofa, in the car, in any chairs). It really seemed like keeping the belly forward never gave the baby the opportunity to swish back against my back. No back labor, no posterior baby. I will happily trade months of never sitting back for a reduced chance of back labor.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by applejuice
I am just saying that I never cross my legs, before, during or after any of my four pregnancies. I still had two very long and painful posterior labors. That is all. I am afraid of developing varicose veins that are anything like my mom's or grandmother's, so I have never crossed my legs.

Gotcha. FWIW, I'm not really a leg crosser, either, and I had a posterior baby.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I absolutely agree about changing your sitting habits to avoid back labor....learning to sit on the floor or use a birthing ball instead of the sofa is much better than the pain of back labor! Also, I have found now I carry my baby around all day, and pick up her up and put her down, and nurse etc...the sofa was giving me back pain anyway, so I still sit on the floor!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.