Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm a little concerned about some cramping I've been experiencing lately. It started about a week ago -- in the evenings I began feeling like I had very mild menstrual back cramps (which is where I feel my cramps when I have my period) and it would only last for like 3 to 10 minutes and be very gradual, with no sensations of BH or pressure of any kind.

This morning, I felt a much stronger wave of these back cramps that lasted for only about 2 or 3 minutes but it was enough to cause me concern, so I paged the midwives and told them what was going on. They told me that although back cramps can sometimes mean labor is imminent, it is most likely a form of braxton hicks contractions just preparing my uterus for labor. She didn't seem to think I needed to rest or anything, so I didn't take it too seriously.

But I've been having menstrual cramps ALL DAY LONG now. Still, no pressure or uterine tightening, but I feel like I'm going to get my freakin period!! What is going on??

I don't have any other symptoms of impending labor, minus my tremendously intense nesting and maternal feelings, but that doesn't feel too new to me.

Can anyone ease my worries? I know she should cook for at least 2 more weeks in there.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'd talk to the midwives again, possibly get it checked out. It might be labor, a UTI, strained back muscles caused by the ever growing baby and uterus, but I hope it's just BH.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm.. well I've had a UTI before and I don't feel anything like that, and I do have an sore lower back anyways, but this is much much different. My menstrual cramps are very distinct and can't really be compared to anything else, so I know something is happening with my uterus.

When you say get checked out, do you mean go to the hospital? Or see the midwives? I guess maybe I should page them again... ayayay.

It just feels so mild at this moment so I don't know if I should bug them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m guessing early labor, or perhaps the baby has just moved down so now you’re feeling a lot more pressure. I wouldn’t worry, but do inform your midwives if you are concerned. Just relax and try to take it as easy as you can.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I'm 36 weeks, now, but i've been having them on my back and down my legs, especially at night. It really feels like my period is coming any moment.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I'm 36 weeks, now, but i've been having them on my back and down my legs, especially at night. It really feels like my period is coming any moment.
It's been happening for weeks for me too. (though more in intensity in this last week or so...)... And I'm still here. At 39w2d.

But really, if you're worried, your midwives are there to work for you and to help ease your mind... Do what you need to do

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
try a glass of wine and a warm bath, if that doesn't work then you need to go in/call them.

I'd try the wine and bath first though. Good Luck mama!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys! It is comforting to hear that other people here have been experiencing it for weeks. I think I'm going to just wait and see, and if things get worse I'll page the midwives again...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I've been having this the past two days and it is driving me crazy! Now I have cramps in the front too. I'm 36w5d.

I swear the mind games of the last few weeks are the worst part of pregnancy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elight23, that actually makes sense to me because I'm feeling like she's moving down lower.. My bladder keeps feeling really really full in sudden bursts and I don't need to actually pee as badly as I feel like I do. Is that what they mean by 'engaging'? Does it happen around 35 weeks?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by october View Post
Elight23, that actually makes sense to me because I'm feeling like she's moving down lower.. My bladder keeps feeling really really full in sudden bursts and I don't need to actually pee as badly as I feel like I do. Is that what they mean by 'engaging'? Does it happen around 35 weeks?
ooh.. I can always hope that's what's been going on (I'm all for anythign happening).

Engagement can happen at any time, really.. usually at the end, but usually for a first pregnancy it occurs earlier than in subsequent pregnancies...

I'm at the gosh-I-feel-like-I-have-to-pee-way-more-than-I-actually-*need*-to stage also. Yesterday I went on a walk (two miles! go me!) and I could have made it farther, but I felt like I had to pee SOOOOOOO badly (even though I used the facilities JUST before walking... and even made sure NOT to drink water right before leaving...)... it can be crazy sometimes!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm 35+ wks and I had them all last week too. I would wake up in the middle of the night because they were making me so uncomfortable. It actually made me cry more than once. This week I've only felt twinges a couple times which is a vast improvement.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
DDCC~ it's started for me too at 34 weeks. i *think* baby is putting more pressure on my bowels and that seems to cause more back "contractions" as well. it involves only my LOW back and uterus though...nothing goes higher than halfway up to my bellybutton. i consider any kind of contractions that are opposite (or ignore) gravity to be not labor...it's pushing the baby back in! haha. drink some water, lay on the left side...wine sounds better and a bath too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
I've been having this the past two days and it is driving me crazy! Now I have cramps in the front too. I'm 36w5d.

I swear the mind games of the last few weeks are the worst part of pregnancy.

oh mind games...love it! must be to prepare us for children?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
This is the first pg I've felt anything like that - and mine were also pretty recent - 34-35wks.

It was so weird - I had the same thought - I feel like I'm going to get my period (and I don't usually even cramp much when I have my period).

I chalked it up to funky feeling BH because of baby's position. I really don't think baby was head down at that point, so I was thinking that positioning may have been causing this unusual discomfort in my back (unusual for me anyway).

Baby has changed position since I was feeling those pains though and I haven't really felt them again.

And the bathroom thing - another sign that baby had moved. I started having more jabs to the bladder. My kids started teasing me, "But you just went to the bathroom!"

I know, but I gotta go AGAIN! Or at least if feels like I gotta. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.