Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So I thought I saw some ladies talking about some back problem I hadn't heard of.  I've been having pains in my back, but it's really low, like toward my tale bone. If I'm sitting in floor playing w/ DS it's really uncomfortable and painful. It's like I can't put pressure on my bottom or lower back. What is it & how do I cope with it?</p>

·
Registered
999 Posts
<p>picture a joint on either side of your tailbone connecting to the bones that go around to the front. that's the sacroiliac joint (it joins the sacrum/tailbone to the ilium/hip bone). right around there is a nerve that runs from just above your tailbone, down your leg. it's called the sciatic nerve. when your pelvis loosens up, it is fairly common for that nerve to get irritated due to the shifting of the bones as you walk/sit/etc, and the way the muscles of your buttocks tighten up to try and stabilize your pelvis. also the ligaments are loosening up, so that can cause pain as well. if it's your sciatic nerve acting up, it's called sciatica.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>there are a few things that can help. if the bones in your pelvis are slightly out of joint, a chiropractor can reset them and relieve the pain. if the muscles and ligaments are sore, a massage therapist can help there. also, stretching all the muscles of the buttocks can help. google stretches, particularly "piriformis muscle stretch". it's a muscle deep in the buttocks, running roughly from your sacroiliac joint literally right over the sciatic nerve to the hip joint. it can get tightened really easily and puts pressure on the sciatic nerve.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>if sciatica gets really bad it can cause pain or burning all the way from the lower back down the back of the leg on the affected side. sometimes a heating pad or hot water bottle can help, especially right before stretching.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>hope this helps :)</p>

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
<p>I have a lot of tailbone pain. I do chiro, ice, yoga stretches and try not to sit on anything hard, I replaced my computer chairs and stuff with an exercise ball</p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Yeah it sounds just like what MYK described, I get it for a day or two from time to time in the last few months. I find squatting is helpful and spreading my knees and putting firm pressure on the tailbone area help. I will start on all fours in bed then gradually spread my knees and let gravity do it's thing, feel good. I also work hard to keep my knees level to each other, no huge lifting on one side or the other, specially when sleeping as that long duration seems to let them settle into a crooked place by morning. I also sit down before lifting my legs to put on and clothes or shoes rather than balcening on one leg, which puts a lot of force on that joint. Like was said it loose right now cause of hormones, so always keep that in mind. I do not sit on hard floors anymore unless it is very controlled and in a lotus position, I learned my lesson when I once pooped down with my legs to one side, I have nerve pain for two days after that! Too may stairs is also something to be taken in a controlled manner.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>I'll try some of the suggestions.  We live in a condo that is 3 different floors...so I'm sure that isn't helping.  If I sit w/ my legs to the side I find it hurts when I get up.  Funny how pregnancies can be so different. I had pains last time but completely different than this. thx again ladies.</p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
<p>yeah sitting with my legs to the side will just doom me</p>

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>someone told me that iw as supposed to stay off my feet for 24 hrs and use a heating pad.  I don't even work outside the home, how am I gonna let a 2 1/2 yr old run around & 3 dogs?  Today was cleaning today, so cleaning 3 bathrooms, 3 sinks, one shower, vacuuming 3 floors, dusting & doing laundry... definitely ready to sit w/ a heating pad. But hubby is working late again...so not much rest here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>maybe i should sit on the boppy hehe</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts