Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 11mo dd gets nursed to sleep, then put in the crib. when she wakes up a few hours later, i nurse her back to sleep in our bed, and she usually stays there all night (i'm too tired to get up and put her back in the crib) well, i'm a very light sleeper and she is very restless.

how do you ladies get your lo's back to sleep without sticking a boob in their mouth? everytime she starts to roll around and whimper, i just nurse her and she goes back to sleep for an hour.

my dh and i have to go out of town in august without her
and i want to make sure she can go back to sleep and sleep well without 15 different bottles each night

i also need some sleep
bad; what works?

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
At 11 mos old? I stick a boob in their mouth....it really is the perfect solution. At this age I wouldnt really try much else because they still need the nourishment and comfort.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree. The easiest thing for me to do was to nurse during the night. It took the least effort and was the most effective. However, I do understand where you are coming from in that you are tired and would like more sleep. I night weaned my dd when she was about 20 months. I used a version of Dr. Jay Gordon's method, but he states time and time again that it should not be tried prior to 12 months. I had great results, but at 20 months, my dd was ready. She still wakes up at night, but now we just snuggle a bit and she falls back to sleep. Honestly, at this point, I am not sure what I would do if I had to spend a night away from her, even without the night time nursing issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't want to spend the time away from her, but we're in a wedding that's 12 hours away. my mom has offered to go with us and dd, but that's a lot of time in the car and expense for my mom(extra hotel rooms).

also, do any of you feel like your dh's get off easy with us breastfeeding. mine assumes that he can't get dd asleep or he doesn't even try-he just says-here, she needs your boobs!!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sometimes back or butt pats will put DD back to sleep if I realise she's waking before she gets too awake.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain! About the baby and DP thinking he can't help, therefore never trying!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
My DD sleeps in her crib the whole night partly because of this issue. She rolls around all over the place in her sleep and I couldn't get nearly enough sleep with her in bed with us. I just started nursing her back to sleep in the rocker I have in her room and laying her back down. She woke up far less often when she was in her own bed than when she was with us. I know crib sleeping isn't popular advice around here, but it works extremely well for us.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have several suggestions. I don't think you are trying to nightwean, you sound like you are just tired of waking up every hour, and I don't blame ya mama.

Here are my suggestions:
1) When DD slept in my bed she woke up a lot from me moving around, and vice versa. Can you sidecar her crib to your bed so she'll have her own space but you won't have to get up to put her back in the crib? She might wake up a lot less just because she's not right next to you.
2) If she's waking up every hour -- IMHO it is not necessary to nurse her every hour. Try the back pats as the PP suggested, or talk/reassure her quietly ("go back to sleep now baby, everything's OK and mama's here"), or whatever else you can think of. She'll probably fuss a little but wait it out for 30 seconds or a minute and see what happens. The goal here is to let her experience some other ways to fall asleep, other than nursing down.
3) When you do nurse her (every 3-4 hours?), try to take her off your boob when she is drowsy but not all the way asleep, so she starts to experience falling asleep without a boob in her mouth. Otherwise, when she comes up to the lighter part of the sleep cycle and realizes that the boob she fell asleep with is no longer in her mouth, she will come all the way awake and the cycle repeats. The goal is to create as much as possible the conditions she will encounter when she half-wakes again, so that things will be the same and she won't wake up from the shock of the environment being different from when she fell asleep. This is described at length in No Cry Sleep Solution if you want more details.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We patted DS on the butt after he weaned (he self-weaned at 10 months) because he seemed like he had no idea how he was supposed to go to sleep now! that he didn't nurse. Now he falls asleep with me sitting in the room and doesn't night wake anymore, but it took awhile (he'll be 20 months July 1st).

·
Registered
297 Posts
we have been having success with butt patts (try and do it to the rhythm of a heartbeat) and shushing. i pop on the wave machine too and that seems to be a sleep trigger (he falls asleep to it but it stops after 40 minutes.)
if he is just fussing around i butt patt, but if he is diving for me, i know he wants to nurse and do so. lately, i have been encouraging longer nursing sessions instead of just a suck suck suck every hour, and patting in between.

i was on the verge of burnout and contemplating CIO it was so bad - i had been up every hour for 8 months (he doesnt take bottles, ever!) so i feel your pain. i went to a LLL meeting and read NCSS and decided to just gently begin finding other ways to help him go back. If he is super restless, I transfer him to the crib once he is asleep, and he will stay in there 2 hours or so. Sometimes I think my tossing and turning wakes him.

basically, I am beginning to understand that it takes baby steps and small changes over time. persistance is key too. i would try something one night and declare it useless, but a LLL leader encouraged me t try things for three nights and then make a decision. Thats when we had a breakthrough with butt patts.

good luck!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts