Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br><br>
I've posted here before about my struggle with anxiety and OCD and depression. I was on Zoloft for about 6 weeks and decided to take myself off of it because I did not like the side effects, like weight gain, sexual stuff.<br><br>
Well, it's been about a month or maybe a little more, and I am right back where I started. I had to clean up some mouse poop in the house because it's cold and they are trying to come in. I became convinced that I have hantavirus. Before that, it was botulism. Before that, oh I don't know but I've been going from one extreme anxiety to the next. Next week will be something else, I'm sure.<br><br>
At first I thought maybe this was "rebound" stuff from going off the meds. Now I think, after talking to my mom and my husband, that I have ALWAYS had this, even as a child, and perhaps have needed medication for many years.<br><br>
I talked to my therapist yesterday, and she really was for my going back on the meds. But I am afraid. I don't want to have the weight gain and other stuff. DH says he doesn't care about any of that stuff, that he just wants me mentally healthy and we will work on the rest later. He's been so wonderful. I had thought that my OCD and stuff started after the baby, but what I realize now is that it just CENTERED around the baby once he came. I have always had this and I really do need help for it. I want my son to have a healthy mom.<br><br>
The thing is, we wanted to have more kids. Will I always have to be on Zoloft? Nobody knows. I do have concerns about taking it while pregnant, although in category B, it's safer than my asthma meds!<br><br>
I guess I just am hoping for some support or to hear from other moms who have had this struggle. Meds are something I am all for, for everyone else. But for some reason, I have a hard time taking them myself. Why???

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I understand your situation completely. I was totally against meds. I am now on 150 mg. of Zoloft (because I was having obsessive thoughts). I have never felt better mentally. Physically the zoloft kinda makes me have lower energy level and makes me tired. I don't really have the sexual side effects and the rest of it I can live with if it means I am not anxious and neurotic. I also talked to my midwife yesterday about staying on my meds while I am pregnant (we are thinking about trying for number three). They said there is no reason not to take it. Zoloft has been around a long time.<br><br>
For me going on meds meant that I wasn't perfect and had to admit something was really wrong with me. I looked at it as a failure at first. My psychiatrist says, "if you have a headache would you take an aspirin?"<br><br>
I admit the fact that I am doing so well on the meds helped me accept I will probably be on them long term. It allows me to be a better parent to my children - which is a great way of justifying it to myself. I think part of this all is the stigma associated with mental illness.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for responding. I feel the same way you do, although I am just realizing it. You have no idea how much it helps to hear from you, I have been checking all day and was so sad that no one responded.<br><br>
I read in one of my OCD books where the author put it like this," do you think diabetics LIKE taking insulin? Of course they don't. But they know they need it." That kind of puts it in perspective.<br><br>
Thank you again. It helps so much to know I'm not alone.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, this board has helped me a lot confronting my mental health issues. It is great to read about other people dealing with the same struggles I am.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts