Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just decided for sure on having a homebirth and have chosen my midwife! I live in GA, where homebirth is technically "illegal" and if you tell your backup care provider you intend on doing a homebirth they will refuse you care. However, I am already established with a group of Dr.s and midwives who do hospital birth only. I want to continue seeing them while just "not mentioning" that I am seeing a homebirth midwife too and intend on a homebirth. I can see how this would go off without a hitch but I also see possible conflicts- what if my medical group recommends inducing or some of that bull and I don't want to do it or something like that. What would I do if I had an appointment with them the day my labor started and they said "lets put you in the hospital"???

Does anyone else have experience with homebirth care and backup care conflicting or have ways to solve these conflicts?

*BTW: I do not want to be a "walk-in" at a hospital in the event of an emergency because my insurance would not cover that and I don't want just anyone working on me at just any hospital.

Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If they want to induce, decline. They can't do it without your permission.

If your labor starts while you're there, tell them you want to labor at home as long as possible. (which happens to be - the whole time!)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's true- I guess I just want to avoid conflict and not get into it with them. I am also scared they will threaten me with legal action or something since that woman in Utah was charged with manslaughter when she refused a C-section and one of her twins died. I just get paranoid sometimes- I feel like the medical community is against women sometimes and just wants us to say "ok" and let them abuse us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.