Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just decided for sure on having a homebirth and have chosen my midwife! I live in GA, where homebirth is technically "illegal" and if you tell your backup care provider you intend on doing a homebirth they will refuse you care. However, I am already established with a group of Dr.s and midwives who do hospital birth only. I want to continue seeing them while just "not mentioning" that I am seeing a homebirth midwife too and intend on a homebirth. I can see how this would go off without a hitch but I also see possible conflicts- what if my medical group recommends inducing or some of that bull and I don't want to do it or something like that. What would I do if I had an appointment with them the day my labor started and they said "lets put you in the hospital"???<br><br>
Does anyone else have experience with homebirth care and backup care conflicting or have ways to solve these conflicts?<br><br>
*BTW: I do not want to be a "walk-in" at a hospital in the event of an emergency because my insurance would not cover that and I don't want just anyone working on me at just any hospital.<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
Jen

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If they want to induce, decline. They can't do it without your permission.<br><br>
If your labor starts while you're there, tell them you want to labor at home as long as possible. (which happens to be - the whole time!)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's true- I guess I just want to avoid conflict and not get into it with them. I am also scared they will threaten me with legal action or something since that woman in Utah was charged with manslaughter when she refused a C-section and one of her twins died. I just get paranoid sometimes- I feel like the medical community is against women sometimes and just wants us to say "ok" and let them abuse us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts