Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

In case you could not have guessed by the title of this thread, I am hoping to find an OB/GYN who would be willing to be our "back-up" in case I need to transfer to the hospital during my upcoming home birth. Does anyone in this area have any recommendations as to who to meet with? Or even just how to start with all of this!? :)

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
413 Posts
And she doesn't have someone she recommends? I'm not trying to sound snotty, but when we were looking into this option every midwife we spoke to had an OB/GYN who worked with her on possible transfer cases. My personal opinion is that I would be wary of a midwife who doesn't have a recommendation in this area because emergencies do happen, and what is her contingency plan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually haven't brought it up yet. I've only had one prenatal appointment thus far and am planning on bringing it up at our next one. She is very knowledgeable, careful, and has served this area before. I figure I'll just do some research on my own for now, though I am wholly confident that she would have some names for me.

So, did you end up having a home birth and relying on a back-up OB in the Akron area?

·
Registered
413 Posts
No, I never seriously considered a home birth. My husband campaigned strongly for one, and I briefly entertained the idea, and perhaps if I wasn't 40 I might have gone along with it. However, after 60 hours of unmedicated labor and another ten with an epidural and pitocin, I ended up in multiple organ failure and a c-section. So in the long run it was better that I was in a hospital birth center.

I'm not in the Akron, OH, area, your post just popped up on my "recent thread" list and I answered it. I just know that in my area (NY) that the good home birth midwives have a doctor or two that they work with. Your midwife should really be the first person to discuss this with, since she will likely have an established relationship with that doctor and won't just work with whomever you find. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts