Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16m old DD really doesn't talk, and signs a little bit.
She has great comprehension, though.

She was signing "nurse" for a long time and suddenly stopped. She also stopped signing "book" and a few others. She still signs things like "hurt", "baby" and "all finished" quite often, though - so it's not a complete stop of all communication.
Around the same time, she stopped climbing into her highchair on her own when it was dinner time. Now she throws herself to the ground and has a tantrum. There's a few other things, just little things, but things that started to make me go "hmm". Is this normal?? Did anyone else's babe do these things?

· Registered
808 Posts
My ds, 17 mo, last week could identify red, blue and green. I'd put down 5 blocks in front of him all different colors and say, "Where's the red one?" and lo and behold he'd pick it up. I don't know where he learned this. But what a trick to impress mommy! And yet for some reason this week when I put block in front of him and ask colors, he looks at me, grins and starts playing - and it appears he has forgotten the colors. As for the tantrums.....
it's several times a day. 90% are quick but 10% can carry on for a bit. It's wearing, but normal for us. We try re-direction, attention, nursing, etc., etc., but sometimes it can't be helped and he slides down to the floor. If he's really upset he'll bang himself in the head or he'll hit me or the dogs...which is quite lovely.
:

· Registered
3,618 Posts
There are words that my dd used to say frequently, but then completely stopped using. And words that she used to pronounce better than she does now. I think it's pretty normal to "lose" certain words for a while (and probably signs, too.) But while she stopped saying certain words, my dd was also learning new ones, so the total number of words she used was continuing to increase. I can't think of any example where she stopped being able (or willing) to do some physical thing, like climbing into a highchair.

· Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys.
My only thought about the chair thing was maybe she fell off it and is scared to climb up on her own, now??? I don't recall her slipping off it, but with her you never know!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.