Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking for a "backup OB" so that I can be preregistered and have a known OB meet me at the hospital in the unlikely event of my requiring/wanting a transfer.

It's nigh on impossible!!! The doctor that works with my midwife's group is too far to drive, and the other OB that was recommended to me is no longer doing backup because of problems with his insurance company.

I've been told that what a lot of women are doing is just signing up with an OB and going through all the prenatal work with them (so I guess you're double the fun - get to have all the midwife prenatal app'ts and tests and then repeat them at the OB's - OY!) and then just deliver at home and never tell the OB that you were planning a homebirth all long.

That just seems so deceptive and ikky to me, and quite frankly I am a CRAPPY liar and don't know that I could even pull it off.

Any suggestions/help/advice? I really don't want to have to transfer to ER and see whichever OB is on call at the hospital - it would be nice to have SOMEONE familiar.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Oh I am the exact same as you. I struggled with the same thing when I was deciding what to do. I also don't feel good about not telling the straight truth to my OB (if I had one) and I too am a horrible liar. I just didn't feel ok with that. I also don't want to deal with telling an OB about having a HB and listening to all their crap.
So...I have found a midwife that I adore and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can make this happen at home without a transfer. I'm really winging it and that usually isn't my style but I just don't like my other options and I figure I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. My hospital is 5 minutes from my house and if I'm transfered I figure an emergency is an emergency and at that point I don't even know if I care who "fixes" me.

Like I said, probably not the wisest way to go about it but I don't like my other options. I'll just avoid it all together.

Oh, I also don't want to deal with the OB wanting me take tests that I don't want to take. Frankly my balls are not very big
and I'd have a hard time aruging with a doctor. Again avoidance is best for me!

Good luck. I'd love to know what you figure out!

Amy

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't understand the backup OB, so they can meet you at the hospital in case you require a transfer. if you were a regular hospital birther your OB may or may not be there for your birth. and as mentioned if you require the transfer and end up in the er you want medical care asap period.

doubling up with midwife and OB seems deceptive and if you would have to use that OB for a transfer I would expect them to be pissed.

and in the realm of "you create your reality" I would be concerned about expending all this psychic energy in preparations for a transfer. being preregistered in a hospital when you are planning a homebirth sounds questionable. put your faith in yourself. look inside, this may be a sign that hb isn't for you-and there's nothing wrong with that. but if you've delved deeply and hb is what you want, be 100% present for that.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Like others said - if you have an emergency and you show up at the hospital, they have to see you whether you are registered or not, and I know if it's a matter of life and death, or serious injury (which is the only way I will go to a hospital this time!) I won't care who is on call - man or woman, nice person or not, etc.

If you see an OB and she knows of your plans, she will probably make up some reason why homebirth is "especially" unsafe for you. She may tell you that you have pre-ecclampsia, that the placenta is deteriorating, or anything else to get you to come in.

If you do want to be deceptive and see both, be sure you deceive the OB and not the MW. OBs have guaranteed business and make a lot of money doing what they do; MWs are often really looking forward to the fee they will get from you because they don't have as much business and really need it to get by on.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Does your mw have friendly physicians in the area that she is familiar with? I don't have OB back-up per se, but I do know three different MDs that are supportive of homebirth and are ok with being called in times of transport.

I would just forgo the visits to the OB - most people that I know that do both OBs and mws end up dropping the OB care because it's such a hassle and anxiety-ridden.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Why not just plan on having a smooth comfortable peaceful homebirth? Ask and you shall receive. Ask for what you want, not what you don't want. If you've committed to homebirth whole heartedly, the possibility of you needing to transfer is very slim. Why focus on that slim outcome so much? Putting so much energy and worry into transferring is like asking for what you don't want. (Unless, that is what you want, then I'd fully support you in finding a care provider to deliver your babe in a hospital or birth center setting. Got to do what's right for you.)

I agree with the other posters that even if you do get a MD, they may not be the one to attend you if you transfer. You'd get who was on call one way or another.

The other thing is if you got dual care, think about all the messages you would be subject to. Think of all the extra tests they would bring up, the fears, the concerns the discouragement about homebirth, the distrust in your body, the distrust in your baby, the distrust in nature. I'm not saying all MDs are like this, but a lot of them are. I wouldn't know where to find one that wasn't.

Best wishes in your decision. Peace.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
It's not our fault that the system is set up the way it is. I don't see anything wrong with having a back-up OB and pre-registering at a hospital, in fact I think it's a good idea. There is no reason to feel guilty about hiring an OB and a hospital. That is so silly. They are getting paid for their services. The thing to remember is that you are the client and they are your employee. They are there to provide whatever services you want, no more, no less. You are the boss. Make an appointment with an OB. Don't tell him you're planning a homebirth. Like I said, it's not your fault the system is set up the way it is. He doesn't need to know you're planning a homebirth. You are hiring him in case you need to birth in the hospital, which I think is perfectly reasonable and the way it should always be done, and all he needs to know is that if/when you show up at the hospital, he will take care of you. That is his job. (For the purposes of this visit, you are assuming that you will end up at the hospital, so act that way. It's not a lie, because a transfer is a possibility. That's why you're there.) Refuse every test and procedure he suggests. It is your body. He is there to follow your requests, not the other way around. (Even if I was planning a hospital birth and wanted him to be my birth attendant, I would still refuse every test and procedure. I don't think it's deceptive at all. It's simply my body and my choice.) As you leave your first appointment (at which you refuse everything you don't want), tell the receptionist that you will call from home to make your second appointment, after consulting your calendar. This will make her feel happy in her little world of order and predictability. Then just don't call back. (It's not your fault the system is set up the way it is!) Chances are, no one will even notice that you don't call back. Your name will be in the computer as the doctor's patient. As it should be. Pre-register at the hospital (I really do think it is a good idea to have this as a back up plan - and I'm more committed to homebirth than anyone on the planet. You don't want to show up at the ER and get a random doctor who will be pissed at you for just showing up without any previous contact!). On the pre-registration form, there will be a space for your OB's name. Fill in the name of the OB you had the appointment with (he IS your OB). Then forget all about everything and just focus on having a great homebirth!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Oooh, Devrock -- that one appointment with the OB and pre-registering does sound like a good option. I was thinking by using a OB for backup meant going every month/every 2 weeks/every week. But, actually only going once is a GREAT idea if you feel you need a back-up/pre-register. And, you won't get all those weird hospital birth vibes at every appointment, because you won't be going to another appointment. And, it takes care of the "what ifs" that so many women have in their mind. Genius!

(Just for the record, I won't be doing that plan, but I really think it's a great way to go if someone's really concerned about transferring.)

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Is homebirth illegal where you are or something? During my last pregnancy I went in to see an OB at 30 some weeks and asked him to be my back up OB. He was completely cool with it. I know I sort of lucked out and the nurse was a real pain in the rear at that visit, but what is wrong with just asking an OB to be your backup?
Other than that I agree with the others that there is no real compelling reason to get a back up ob and especially to pre register at the hospital if you are planning a homebirth.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I started out seeing a mw (CNM) in an OB's office. It was a large practice with 6 OBs and 5 CNMs. After I started seeing my CPM, I stopped going to the CNM. They called and asked if I had switched practices and where to send my records. Frankly, I was surprised they noticed I was gone. Anyway, I was honest witht the CNM that I was having a homebirth. She was supportive and asked which CPM I was using. She told me that she had heard good things about the mw, which also surprised me. Then she said that she would no longer be able to give me care since I was planning a homebirth. She sent a letter saying they were terminating the midwife/patient relationship. So, even if I had wanted them to be backup's, they wouldn't have been able to do it.
Next time, I won't bother doing "duel care". I will go to my family practice doc if I need medical attention during the pregnancy and if I need to transfer, I'll just be glad there is someone at the hospital that can help me and my baby.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
My midwife used a backup OB that was at a hospital an hour away. He was worth the drive! I wouldve ended up having a C section if I had any other doctor. Thats why my MW uses him. PLUS, my MWs got to stay with me the whole time and make sure my birthplan was adhered to.

I was 10cc when we made the transfer to the hospital......not something I would want to repeat, but definetly doable.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HomeBirthMommy
So, even if I had wanted them to be backup's, they wouldn't have been able to do it.
Only because you decided to tell them everything. I think it's a mistake to be so forthcoming in this situation. I, too, am surprised they called, but when that does happen, I would recommend saying that you have not switched, you have not found anyone else, in fact you are not even looking for anyone else, you want to stay with them, you just haven't felt like coming in for routine prenatals. Everything is going well, etc. If they really insist on making an appointment, go ahead and schedule one, then just call back later and cancel, saying you will call again later to reschedule. Then just don't.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Up until recently, I was seeing both an OB and a midwife. I alternated appointments between the two. Never lied to either about my plans. If I felt a need to lie, I would have sought care elsewhere or gone without it altogether.
Midwife is four hours away, so it just wasn't reasonable to drive all that way for every apointment.
I am no longer seeing my OB, due to his lack of support or faith in my body to birth this baby naturally, but have sufficiently established myself as his patient and can call on him in case of an emergency. They have to give you written notice if they plan to drop you from their care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.