Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some bacon today (FINALLY found some that wasn't cured), and I have saved all the fat.

I remember when my grandparents saved fat they kept it in a coffee container under the sink. I put mine in a bowl and put it in the fridge. I felt safer keeping it refrigerated. Does it make a difference?

Also, can you mix different fats/grease together? For example...bacon fat mixed with beef fat, and lamb fat etc. Like a big ole combo!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
My dad kept various jars of fat on the counter of our kitchen all the time (he would spread in on bread) but I can't speak to the safety issue, just commenting on that it much have been standard practice with the older generation to not refridgerate fat.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I keep my bacon grease in a crock on the counter or stove. I don't like to mix them because they have such distinctive flavors that would get lost in a mixture. I've never had a problem with it going bad. Just keep it covered and it should be fine. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

So I can just use it to cook other things in? I don't remember what my grandparent's used to do with it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I use it to fry eggs or slices of squash. It's also really tasty with fresh sauteed spinach. Adds lots of flavor to cornbread (I add a T or so, any more and it's overpowering). Great for hash browns, too!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
When I went veg in my teens, I had to learn how to cook veggies and beans all over again. Growing up, we flavored ANYTHING that was cooked to death with bacon fat: green beans, pinto beans, ham & beans, you name it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gosh, maybe it's the brainwashing, but whenever I think of smothering anything in bacon fat or lard I think of clogging arteries.
It's been every hard for me to get over this idea...and I'm still working on it.

I mean, my grandparents did this forever, even still do sometimes, and they've never had heart problems. Well, my grandpa had a heart aneurysm years ago but that's different. They both have clear arteries, and he's overweight!

·
Registered
404 Posts
My grandfather (who passed away this year at 102--actually passed away at noon on his birthday!!) used to fry his bacon in LARD--since modern bacon was too lean for his taste! He would save the grease and use it on his toast and to fry his eggs in.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BekahJ View Post
Ok I thought that bacon grease was really bad for you. Please enlighten me on this subject because I know it does make everything taste great!
Only if you are trying to avoid pork. Which I am/do, but every now and then I have to have some bacon and I use the leftover lard(which is usually significant) to cook.

From a traditional foods mindset, it is full of good saturated fat.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hibana View Post
I keep it in a container in the fridge and use it to fry chicken livers!

Now this would def. make liver taste good

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I keep mine in the fridge in a mason jar and use it to cook oven-fried potatoes. I tried it with eggs and didn't care for the taste...but then again I don't like bacon much either, unlike the rest of my family.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oven friend potatoes...oh my gosh, I will have to try the fat with that.

Okay now is everyone SURE that bacon fat will not cause me to have a heart attack?
I just can't get away from the thought of it.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
Now this would def. make liver taste good

In my book you CANNOT fry chicken livers in anything except chicken fat!

I make a mean chopped liver with chicken fat, madera wine and chopped egg. My kids could eat it all day long (yes I cook out the alcohol...or as much as is possible
)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
only bacon fat makes liver palatable . . . .dh makes green bean fries in bacon fat- parboil the beans first, drain until dry and cool- then in the skillet. omg the are divine. hot bacon vinagrettee over wilted greens. . .mmmm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.