Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just installed DS's convertible carseats, so we took both cars to a local car seat safety event this past Saturday. I have a lot of faith in DH's installation abilities, but it's always nice to have them double-checked, KWIM?

The first thing the tech said after he found out DS's height, weight, and age was "Well, you have 2 more months before you can turn him around (to FF)."
:

I was like, "Oh no, we're going to keep him RF until he reaches the absolute maximum of the seat."

And the tech said, "Well, sure you could do that too."

A separate tech who was looking at our second car had allmost the exactt same conversation with DH.

This was SO ANNOYING to me. What a great opportunity to educate folks about the safety of extended RF. And instead, I feel like I was the one educating the techs!!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had good experience at our local Safe Kids place. They were super happy to see that we were 'still' rear facing. And they were very pleased that 'my online mommas' had told be to keep my son rear facing. I'm sorry that your local carseat people aren't more knowledgeable
Is there a way to drop off the article with them and ask them to consider mentioning the info at the next event?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Next time I would try searching your tribe area to see if there is a pro-ERF tech in your area. Sometimes it's just hit or miss, you have techs who are thrilled, some who are just 'whatever', and some who just think it's silly.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I went to a car seat check when K was maybe 14 months old. His seat was still RFing. The first thing the tech said was, 'Oh you want to turn your seat around?' I just told him no I was leaving him RFing.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belia View Post
We just installed DS's convertible carseats, so we took both cars to a local car seat safety event this past Saturday. I have a lot of faith in DH's installation abilities, but it's always nice to have them double-checked, KWIM?

The first thing the tech said after he found out DS's height, weight, and age was "Well, you have 2 more months before you can turn him around (to FF)."
:

I was like, "Oh no, we're going to keep him RF until he reaches the absolute maximum of the seat."

And the tech said, "Well, sure you could do that too."

A separate tech who was looking at our second car had allmost the exactt same conversation with DH.

This was SO ANNOYING to me. What a great opportunity to educate folks about the safety of extended RF. And instead, I feel like I was the one educating the techs!!!!

I don't get the anger. He said two months before you 'can' right? not 'should'. I'm sure that the tech has had more than one parent with a 18 lb 13 month old forward facing or a 23lb 9month old a parent thought was okay to turn forward facing.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
I don't get the anger. He said two months before you 'can' right? not 'should'. I'm sure that the tech has had more than one parent with a 18 lb 13 month old forward facing or a 23lb 9month old a parent thought was okay to turn forward facing.

I'm not really angry- more disappointed and irritated. His tone and wording was pretty matter-of-fact: "Your son is RF now, and in 2 more months it'll be time to turn him around." If I hadn't done so much research on my own, I would have assumed that that was the proper way to do it! When in actuality, it's NOT the only option and actually the more unsafe option.

He was just so blase... like "Whatever."

Such a missed opportunity for someone in "authority" to educate folks.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Unfortunately some of us are more pro-ERF and gung-ho about CPS than others. Last year, at a tech training class we were helping with, one of the techs I work with told me how he was turning his 14 month old FF'ing that week. This was a class taught by a VERY pro-ERF instructor, and the other 2 techs helping with the class are all very pro-ERF as well. He just didn't get it.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I know a lot of techs who don't believe parents are interested in erf and eh so don't even mention them. Some techs just don't think a child would be comfortable. There's only so much the tech class can teach, what a tech takes from it is up to them. It is frustrating, you should be the tech who works w/ those people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.