Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 12 and really beautiful... honestly, she is gorgeous and smart and has lots of friends and great grades, etc. However, we have always noticed that she tends to get bad breath... now its really bad.. to the point where dh and I have had no choice but to point it out to her because it is really not pleasant for us and I could imagine for others.

She tells me she is brushing well but I wonder. She has a tendency to be a bit on the ... well... ummm... lazy side at times (what pre-teen isn't right?)... and I've caught her skipping things like this to avoid the process. However she INSISTS shes brushing well, her tounge, etc. and I feel horrible always pointing it out to her but I do not want her to walk around like that and maybe get her feelings hurt by another child, etc. She's starting to like boys now and I do not want her to be embarrassed by a rude comment, etc.

I'm making an appointment with the dentist to see if its something else but I'm pretty sure her teeth are in good condition...

What can I do about this? I feel like we are bringing it up to her too often (because it is an issue often) and she gets very upset and I do not want to affect her self-esteem but want to make sure that she addresses the problem.

I know if I dont mention it to her, she will not think of it and maybe not brush enough or take care of it...

Ideas? Experience?

·
Registered
314 Posts
There could be lots of reasons...you are right to have her checked out by the dentist. You might also want to have her checked by a doc...things like strep throat, sinus infection or other viruses can cause horrible bad breath.

If there is nothing "wrong" medically (doc or dentist) maybe have her pick out a different toothpaste, one that she really likes and maybe she'll be more likely to use it. We never want any pain to come to our children, but if a friend said something to her, I'm sure it would get her brushing better (if the only issue is not brushing well enough)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would have her checked by an ENT (ear, nose & throat doctor). Cronic bad breath can be caused by abnormally large tonsils and/or adnoids. They are more prone to trapping and growing bacteria.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I 100% agree with the other ladies....there are medical causes to this.

I would try to find different tooth paste now and review brushing her teeth. Do it as a family!!! Have everything else checked out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My 13 yr old dd has terrible breath. She also has bad body odor, even when she wears deodorant. My mw suggested she take chlorophyll daily. We haven't started on it yet, but my mw mentioned that it has helped her dh.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ditto to the concerns about sinuses, teeth, and tonsils. Treat this as a medical problem first. If it turns out not to be from this, I'd think about getting a waterpic. That may help her keep her tongue clean too.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
They make things called tongue scrapers that will clean your tongue without gagging you. I think they really help me feel cleaner and are in the natural food stores. I am just wondering, what may help, lots of sugarless gum, water bottles, does she have cavities?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree to get her checked out with an ENT. Definately might be something medical!

Just an idea here---often what our family does when going out the door somewhere is "everyone grab a mint!" We all have a breath mint in the car; that way no one is embarassed; its just something we all do.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Bad breath can be caused by an overgrowth of normal oral bacterias, some people have more than others. And it doesn't matter how often or well they brush, it's only a temporary relief.
Rule out a sinus or throat infection, they can cause bad breathe too, as can being hungry (ketosis), being dehydrated is a big one, and having chronic dry mouth.
She can brush with baking soda and rinse with diluted hydrogen peroxide (half H2O2 and half water). Toothpaste with natural cinnimon (not mint) can help, and so can chewing parsley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my daughter, who is also 12, started getting bad breath a while ago and a technician at her orthodontist's said that that, along with stinky feet and other bo, was often just hormones kicking into high gear. my daughter has taken up flossing, and that seems to help, but I notice that even though she doesn't have her period yet, she still gets a little stinkier for a few days a month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts