Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My DS is 27 mos. So far, zero interest in going potty so we're still in dipes. He suddenly developed a wicked diaper rash. Like PAINFUL!

I am putting A&D and Desitin on it. If I put the Desitin on alone it apparently stings like hell but if I put the A&D on first, then its ok.

He rarely gets bad diaper rash but this is a doozy. What can I do for him?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Is he in cloth?

Zinc oxide (in desitin and most drug store diaper creams) is bad for your cloth dipes.

If it hurts him, don't use it. It should be soothing. I sometimes put lanolin on bad diaper rash. What you really want is a moisture barrier. Also, if you're using cloth, you need to change him as often as he pees. It could be build up in your dipes. So try washing them 4 or 5 times in really hot water before you do a wash cycle with detergent (I sometimes pour boiling water into the washer).

There's also a really great, cloth friendly diaper cream that I love by Mama Rose's Naturals. You can get it in stores on the west coast, or online. It has soothing, healing herbals in it, and much of it is organic (as much as possible, but not every herb is available in organic). It's a really great product and has all the herbs I would put on a rash already in it...without the zinc.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
DD is having an awful diaper rash this week too. She is sensitive to apples (though not allergic) and ate a whole apple on Sunday. (Usually we don't let her eat that much apple at once, but it had been a long time since she'd had any reaction and we thought we'd give it a try.) Then she went to bed earlier than usual and pooped in her sleep. Results- horrible, red, scalded rash.

Some parts of the rash got so irritated that they began to ooze and open. Typically we use cloth, but I have her in sposies until the rash clears, because the treatment ruins her cloth dipes. We bought them a little big, so that air can circulate and so that the paper isn't tight against her skin. This is what is working for us: Boudreaux's Butt Paste (You can get it at Target or Walmart.) on all of the parts of the rash that aren't broken/breaking skin. Then I put Neosporin ointment (the kind with pain relief) thickly over the parts with broken skin. I change her every 2 hours, or less if she poops or is obviously wet. I've been using her regular cloth wipes, but with plain water, for cleaning her off.

It has been working really well so far.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like boudreaux. Lanolin also works. Be careful, if it's weeping- it could be a staph infection. We've had that happen a couple times. Ped can give you something for that as it can get dangerous.

My cousin recently used a "jock itch" cream on her daughter-- antifungal and it cleared it up immediately...

·
Registered
796 Posts
When dd gets bad diaper rashes, red and weeping kinds, we always have to use an anti-fungal because it has become yeast based.

You can use either yeast cream in the womans aisle or athletes foot spray on....its all the same.

good luck

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
we *always* battle diaper rash. 2 1/2 years and still going strong! i apply desitin every night and after poops. he says ouchie when i apply it but i don't know if it is the desitin stinging or just me touching it/the rubbing that hurts him. because sometimes now he will ask for 'diapwer weem' so i think it is soothing.

when it gets really bad (if we skip a night or something) then i will sometimes apply the clotrimazole first before the desitin. if it is super bad i will apply a steroid he has for eczema.

mostly the nightly diaper cream keeps it minimized although if i think 'oh it doesn't look so red' and skip the cream he will be super red the next day.

i keep telling him his penis will not be ouchie whenever he starts wearing underwear! i am sure he is 6 months+ out from that but i think that will be the greatest thing about PL for him. no more ouchies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.