Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY hands are extremely broken out, cracked, open sores, and ITCHY!!! when not pregnant I use some topical steroids when it gets really bad like now. But I am terrified to use anything now that I am in week 18.
My dh had to bathe ds tonight and I am always hurting.
Please does anyone have any suggestions??
thanks soooo much!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
My four year old has suffered with eczema since she was two. Just in the past six months, I have began giving her Cod Liver Oil. It has really made a huge improvement.

She has prescription cream that didn't really work before, but now we hardly ever have to use it. I am very pleased with the results.

Another benefit is that she has not been as sick (like as in needing any breathing treatments) since beginning the supplement.

HTH!

Rebecca

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I get the weird pregnancy-induced hand excema too. Oils seem to be the best solution for me, as well as any kind of diaper ointment (the natural stuff, not like desitin) Sometimes I put the ointment plus bandaids on, and when healed I just make sure to really watch what I'm doing. Gloves while gardening (so hard for me!) and doing dishes helps a ton.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Poor you! I had the worst case of eczema all over both my hands when I was TTC my DS. I think it was stress-related, for me.

Anyway, what helped was to avoid as many chemical-y products as you can -- harsh, commercial shampoos, detergents and the like -- keep handwashing to a minimum (a hard one for me), and to use a natural salve like was suggested above as much as possible, especially at night right before bed.

The cod liver oil is probably a great idea too -- I've been taking fish oil omega 3's for a few months now, and this is the first winter I haven't had dry, scaly skin. I'm definitely keeping it up!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree with watching chemicals. Most people are shocked that Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are common aggravates for Eczema and Acne. These ingredients are in most all hand soaps, detergent bars, shampoos, body washes and dish washing detergents. I highly suggest switching to real soaps ( handmade non-glycerin tend to be the best) and watch for products that include these ingredients!! You can find REAL soap based products at Health Food stores and even at some grocery stores.

I also suggest watching water temp. very hot water can really aggravate Eczema. For creams I agree calendula is amazing! I also find cocoa butter and shea butter to really help.

I have had issues since I was a child with eczema and this pregnancy is really causing it to flair up so I totally understand what you are going through!

·
Registered
563 Posts
oh eczema....my nemisis
I was COVERED!! so bad my OB tested me for lupus
so I took the plunge--cut out the dairy, wheat and now take 3g of fish oils a day...he also said I had the LOWEST vit D level he had ever seen so I take vit d too so far so good
I have found nothing topical that hepls with the cracks, itching, pain etc--Nothing and I have tried it all
if there is something that is effective send it my way, I would love a little "just in case" relief

good luck

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It really depends on what is causing the eczema. If you can afford, a trip to a homeopathic doctor could help to find out what is causing it and going from there.

That said, I also suffer from eczema on my hands. I don't have insurance and so I paid out of pocket to see a homeopathic doctor and it was found that candida was my problem in my large intestine and that my liver was stressin' out as a result of it. I'm still nursing and he prescribed me some liver detox stuff (herbal, homeopathic stuff, safe for nursing). Another thing that has helped me immensely is grapefruit seed extract. It really cuts down on the inflammation and itching. I've been taking it for a few months now up to 3x a day and I really do think it's helping. I was also taking some homeopathic stuff called graphites. That helped too.

Do you notice it getting worse after eating certain things? Or doing certain things?

Another thing I highly recommend is seeing an acupuncturist. I had eczema all over when I was pregnant - I was miserable and the acupuncture helped me out so much. Cleared it all up (but then after a while came back on my hands). After I had given birth I went back to try and tackle it but didn't have the same success. She says that all the good, strong blood flow during pregnancy really helps to get things flowing and the chi (or energy) moving.

You could also try coconut oil.

I have a questions for those of you with eczema on your hands: does it affect your nails?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Probiotics keep my eczema in check. If I forget to take them, I feel it right away. I actually need to take two a day for it to work too, if I only take one it doesn't work.

I use Garden of Life's Primal Defense.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I REALLY appreciate all your responses and ideas for me and I am so glad I am not so alone!! I thought I was the only one suffering thru this!!! not that I am happy anyone else has to feel this!!

I am in the process of ordering for supplements, I am out of DHA and D and need to take more probiotics I think, only taking one a day.

Is it safe to take Grapefruit seed extract while pregnant??
I do have some already. MY nails aren't affected, although my pinky nail is a tiny bit bumpy.
Yes I think it is from certain foods (maybe yeast (candida) chocolate, wheat, dairy??), stress, environment?? I also wash my hands ALL the time, I do have to switch soaps too, I use natural shampoo, but my soaps are antibacterial and probably way too harsh.

I have calendula lotion and started using it again right before bed. thanks!!

mamamia10 did you take the dairy and wheat all out of your diet?? how hard is it?? I did it while nursing ds for 2 yrs and I found it really easy b/c it was for him. but I find it so hard to do it just for me! is that weird?
any other ideas are welcomed. thanks AGAIN!!!! here's to healing us all!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.