Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for some reason get a weekly parenting advice newletter from the hospital I was transfered to well this little tibit was in the "week 40 of your baby's infancy" newsletter that I got today

Quote:
Q: "When should I wean? My husband feels I should wean my daughter as soon as she turns 1 year old, and has nursed the amount of time recommended by our pediatrician. Is this true?"

A: While some infants may indicate a desire to wean as early as 3 or 4 months, others continue to breastfeed until they are 4 or 5 years old. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that mothers breastfeed their babies until age 1, or longer if desired by both mother and baby, because nursing provides optimal health benefits for both mother and child.
oh yeah a 3 or 4 mth old is really going to want to wean

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
:

Can you send an e-mail link or phone number so we can call/write them with the FACTS, so that they can change this statement in the next newsletter?

At least the rest of it is fine, saying 4 or 5 years old at least gets it out there in the minds of others

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the newletter is ent out by the Beverly Hospital in MA the lady is:
Linda Cancellieri
RN, LCCE, FACCE, CD (DONA)
Perinatal Program Manager

When I click on the link it give me a form to fill out to send a msg not an email address
but on the hospital website under the maternity ward they have this:

Quote:
For information that will be helpful to you in planning, birthing and caring for your baby, browse through the information we have prepared for you on our Web site. If you need additional information, please call 978 922-3000, ext. BABY (2229). We look forward to seeing you soon.
website

·
Registered
931 Posts
Quote:
While some infants may indicate a desire to wean as early as 3 or 4 months

I've met Linda before. She was running one of the mother's groups at Beverly Hospital four years ago. I actually didn't agree with the breastfeeding and solids advice that was given in that group. I decided the group was too mainstream and started going to LLL soon after that.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
If an infant "indicates a desire to wean at 3 to 4 months" aren't you supposed to just keep trying to nurse, give them teething rings, and hope that they get over the strike soon?
I mean, it's not like they're getting other food.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
If an infant "indicates a desire to wean at 3 to 4 months" aren't you supposed to just keep trying to nurse, give them teething rings, and hope that they get over the strike soon?
I mean, it's not like they're getting other food.

I'm pretty sure the only time this actually happens is in babies who get a lot of bottles. My first ds went through a strike where he wanted a bottle not me when we got home from daycare, adn it was pretty obvious. But you know what? I never gave that kid a bottle adn I wasn't going to start just because he wanted one b/c it was easier for him to suck on. Pumping is not something I wanted to do more than I had to so if he was hungry, he was going to nurse. Unfortunately, a lot of moms aren't as "mean" as me, and a lot of others are more than happy to switch to formula and say it was the baby's choice, he weaned. Well, a few months after that, ds started refusing bottles. So it can go both ways. lol

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Wendy, my last son had very very few bottles and none before his first nursing strike at about 3-4 months of age. He didn't eat for almost 18 hours. I was going insane.

He went on to have another 3 or so strikes before weaning at 20 months (none of the strikes occurred after 11 months though, after that he LOVED nursing).

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Wait, so they mean weaning to formula? Huh? That's weird. I mean even if someone believed that bm and abm were equivalent, wouldn't that be a lateral move? I thought weaning was to a diet entirely of real food? (Eeep, I feel so clueless.
)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.