Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gang,
I'm really depressed today. I'm a sling wearing mama to an 8mo, but I don't think I'm a truly attached AP parent.

I enjoyed wearing DS in a sling, but now, at 8mos, he wants to stretch and explore, making the sling more of a pain. I only use it when running errands, if he's teething or to get some tasks done around the house (not easy with my son the grabber!)

DS has always been a good sleeper, but since he turned 5mos old, he started waking every 2 hours. I enjoy nursing him and have introduced solids slowly.

Tried co-sleeping and it just does not work for me or DS. Nobody gets sleep. I'm exhausted from waking every 2hrs. I nurse him to sleep and it lasts 10 minutes. He's not hungry, just wants the comfort. I am trying to gently train him how to sleep without needing the boob, but it's been hard.

Tried the Baby Whisperer (on Day 1) and I am convinced that I do not really understand baby's cues. I feel like DS and I are not communicating as well. He has more needs than just to be held and fed and his naps are unpredictable even though he is exhausted. I've been using myself basically as a human pacifier and I'm starting to resent our relationship. I've offered the boob so much that he sometimes looks at me like, "Come on mom, what else you got..."

I really don't think I can handle the frequent night interruptions for much longer. DS is not really a newborn anymore.

Maybe I'm cruising the wrong boards, I don't know. I eventually want to night-wean, don't enjoy co-sleeping and I'm having a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
If it's not working for both you and baby, then something needs to change. Sounds like your baby isn't getting very good sleep with the current arrangement either. Kids are all so different. My oldest still tries to co-sleep with us and most of the time we give in. My baby prefers her crib. Go figure.

BTW I night-weaned my oldest at 5 most when she started to get teeth. I was so afraid of bottlemouth. She did great with it-- but she didn't sleep any better with or without the bottles. She is still a poor sleeper at age 4.

With my baby, I got her used to the crib by rocking her to sleep and putting her in it from the beginning. If she resisted bedtime and I knew she was tired I'd put her in the crib, stand over it and let her fuss while I patted her, then take her back to the rocking chair. Several days of this resulted in her taking to her crib just fine. Now most of the time she puts herself to sleep, or I wear her until she's asleep and she transfers easily to the crib.

I am still not sure if it's my new technique or just luck.

Darshani

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't have a good answer for you but I am somewhat there too.

3rd child is not what they'd call a good sleeper - naps are unpredictable and she wakes a lot at night. I begin to think she's just a light sleeper who is disturbed by the normal noises of life!

One thing I will say is that from reading your post, you are definitely a caring and thoughtful mom - your description is so clear and you are aware of your child's needs! Good for you!

I wonder if perhaps your dc is getting ready for some bigger challenges, maybe thinking about walking? Maybe he's like my dd, sort of a sleep camel - she goes about 4 days with minimal naps, and then crashes for a day or two...

I have come to believe that good sleepers are born not made. And that their rhythms of sleep change during some developmental stages, which is a fancy way of saying This Too Shall Pass... But I'm only judging by my own children, really.

Take heart, ds who slept no more than 20 mins as an infant and could only sleep glued to an adult for 2.5 years, at 5.5 sleeps peacefully in his own bed. I never would have believed I would be able to say that!

And I don't believe that AP means you have to perform certain actions. I am no expert of course but for me it is more important to identify and balance my child's and my own needs than to get the AP label.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.