Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fresh BM taste fairly bland (to me)..but twice I tasted a bit of pumped BM that had been in the fridge for 24-48 hours and it tasted AWFUL! but i wouldn't describe it as "soapy" and it does not smell bad (has no odor at all).

is this normal?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
nak/toh

I've been dealing with the lipase issue and I found this link on the LLL site
http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297
I've gone through the entire thread and found out that some mamas' milk can last 24 hours or more in the fridge while others have to scald it right away to make sure the taste doesn't change. Have you tried expressing BM and then testing it every hour to see when the taste changes? Mine lasts about 24 hours before it's not good (no bad smell though)...to me, the taste is somewhat metallic (but it seems different for many mamas).

So it may be lipase after all...or perhaps something you're eating. Some mamas tried not taking iron supplements to see if it affected the taste of their ebm.

HTH!

·
Registered
359 Posts
i have the same problem. i know they say excessive lipase smells 'soapy', but that's what i assumed the issue was even though i didn'thave a soapy smell either. immediately after pumping, i scald any milk that i plan to store and that eliminates the quick souring.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Yeah, I think mine starts to taste bad in the fridge. It gets this kind of bitter taste. Which might explain why DS always refused to take a bottle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.