Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today for Easter dinner I decided to make some vegetarian baked beans. I soaked the beans overnight and this morning brought them to a boil and let them sit for an hour. Then followed my recipe which does not even call for the preboiling. Well they have now been baking on 350 for 4.5 hrs and they are still not completely soft? Whats the deal w these beans? I keep adding liquid but it seems like it taking forever.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Lots of recipes call for precooked beans, such as canned beans, rather than dry.

If you have something acidic in the baking mixture (such as tomato sauce), it can really slow down the cooking process. It's always better to precook beans before adding any tomato, vinegar, or lemon juice.

Beans would take several hours to cook no matter what- if your recipe called for baking the beans for an hour or two, it probably was intended for pre-boiled beans.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recipe said to soak them overnight which is what I did. They are not old either. I just used them for soup a few weeks ago. The recipe does have tomato juice but most of the baked beans recipes do-I cross referenced several recipes to be sure. I'm so depressed. I just took a few out to cool to see how it is. I have an hour more before we must leave to my MIL's. Thanks for your replies!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.