Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing people rave about baked oatmeal but can't seem to come up with a recipe. What is this all about? I want in on the secret

Also, does anyone do breakfast in the crockpot? I did an oatmeal thing in there once with peaches, and the whole thing tasted kinda burnt in the morning. No one liked it, even my DH who will generally eat anything (and I mean that literally, his big dream is to go on Fear Factor
). Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Thanks tamagotchi! I hadn't even heard of this but followed the link, got up to make some, and am waiting for it to be ready now! I put most in the fridge for tomorrow, but put 2 servings in ramekins for dh and I to eat tonight.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy wow!
Thank you, that sounds awesome, we'll be serving it up this weekend for sure. I have a couple of containers of oats hanging around that no one seems to be interested in, that will be the perfect use for them

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Oatmeal stores in the fridge very well. You can steam it to reheat it the next day -- I just put some in the oven over a pan of water for several minutes, until warm. Then we mix in some more cream, fruit, etc. and it's quite delicious, even the second and third and fourth days. Plus, you don't have to go to all of the trouble of making it again, day after day.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julielenore
The only thing I don't like about most of these recipes is that they serve 6. What do you do with the leftovers?
In the book Wild Fermentation, the author calls for using leftover grains to make sourdough bread. I haven't tried it yet, but I will as soon as my sourdough starter is ready!

·
Registered
938 Posts
The recipe linked to above sounds great - but I love this one, which I got online here at Mothering - it's my version of Kimbers Kickin' Oats:

Bring 2 cups of cherry, apple, or peach juice to a bowl. Add 1 cup oats and boil for a couple of minutes. Pour into a buttered (you can use vegan spread) loaf pan, dot with brown sugar and some more butter, bake at 350 for 20 minutes (until bubbly and browned). Serve alone or with some yogurt. YUM.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisalou
If you're feeling naughty leftover oatmeal is also great formed into patties and lightly sauteed in a wee bit of butter and then put maple syrup on top.
THIS is why I love this site. MDC mamas rawk!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I tried it w/ steel cut oats. I had to add a ton more water of course. And I found out that if you soak steel cut overnight, nothing happens to them! W/ the rolled, do they soak up the liquid? And w/ all the extra water I ended up having egg 'floaters' on the top because i couldn't really get them beaten into the water. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julielenore
The only thing I don't like about most of these recipes is that they serve 6. What do you do with the leftovers?
Make oatmeal cake, or oat bread?

alsoSarah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.