Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soap and Craft http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/index.html, but I'm between orders so thought I'd try baking soda. Since I made the decision on the fly I didn't have any lemons in the house (and with my super oily hair I know not to try vinegar) - so I just washed with the BS and rinsed. I've done it three times now, just BS, wash, and rinse with warm water. Is there a problem with doing this long term if I decide to? Or do I need to rush out and buy lemons? My hair is shoulder length, very fine, straight, and oily oily oily oily oily. The BS seems to work as well as the shampoo bars so I might stick with it (cheap), but if I'm doing damage by not using the lemon juice I might go back to the shampoo bars. Whenever I've used any acid rinse in the even the most minute amounts, diluted beyond anything recommended here even, I end up with an oil slick on my head.

Chemistry lesson, experience, advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Most people doing no poo later find that their scalps are not as oily as it used to be, it transitions out of the oilslick ways.

I would say if it's super oily at the moment, I suppose you don't have to use an acid rinse (people who tend to get oily roots at least condition the bottom of their hair with ACV, lemons, limes, or conditioner).

If you start finding that the ends of your hair is getting dry, or worse, getting split ends, I would get some Suave, VO5 or White Rain (super cheap, no silicones) and just condition the ends.

You could always smooth your hair with some light jojoba oil or mist it with lavender essential oil/distilled water after your hair is dry.

It's been my experience that in the winter, baking soda alone will make my hair staticky and prone to breakage without some sort of conditioner or squirting some ACV on it. But it's summer so don't worry.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - yes, in the months since leaving commercial products behind, my hair has gotten about half as greasy as before - meaning I only have to wash it once in a 24 hour period, instead of twice.

Thanks for the info on the BS/acid rinse combo and reasons for both. I live in a humid rain forest tropical climate, so it makes sense that my hair doesn't need the conditioner on the ends. As it gets longer I will probably need to add that in to my routine.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have never needed the acid rinse, the same thing would happen to me, looked horrible. I actually haven't tried it since moving here, but in Hawaii, until no pooing, I had to wash twice a day too. It wasn't as humid or even as hot as GA, but maybe not having an air conditioned house? I would stick to what you are doing until you feel the need to do something else. If my hair starts looking funky, I change it. Of course I also look to what I have been eating and the stress in my life. It seems to show up much more now no pooing.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Gina-so cheap conditioners are actually better for your hair than salon type conditioners? How about "natural" ones like from JASON or Burt's Bees?? I'm confused! I thought the idea was to avoid shampoo/conditioner and their nasty ingredients! Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Jason and Burt's bees are fine, I'm sure they don't have any silicones (you can look).

Some lines of VO5, Suave, and White Rain just happen to have conditioners that don't have silicones in it.

Whatever works for you.

The cheap conditioner was an alternative to people who were doing the baking soda and vinegar and still needed an extra something, but were cost-conscious too.

If cost isn't a worry for you, you can buy both shampoo and conditioner from Jasons or Burt's Bees, Aveda, Avalon, Aubrey's, etc etc, and call it a day.

The cheap conditioner idea came from that Curly Girl forum I posted about. It seemed like a good alternative for some people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts