Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was originally my MIL's Chocolate Chip Banana recipe. I've made quite a few changes in the many times I've made them. You can always use chocolate chips instead of dried fruit but I feel more virtuous without them.

Some tips:
I usually use equal parts:dates, prunes and apricots; I have also included dried cranberries and frozen blueberries before.
I usually make about 3x this recipe and never come out with exactly the right amount of bananas. I puree the bananas that I have and add just enough coffee to top it up to the right amount. This adds a wonderful flavour!
I often use frozen bananas for this recipe. Just let them thaw in a bowl on the counter for a few hours, cut off the end and squeeze out the insides.
Two to three bananas yeild about 1 cup when pureed.
These muffins freeze beautifully! Great alone or with cream cheese on top.

DRY MIXTURE
1 c. Unbleached all-purpose flour
1 c. Whole wheat flour
1 t. Salt
1 c. Dried fruits--chopped

MOIST MIXTURE
1/2 c. Butter (best if softened)
3/4 c. Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 t. Vanilla extract
1 c. Ripe bananas--pureed

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, adding the fruit last. Use an electric mixer to blend the butter and sugar till creamy. Beat in one egg at a time. Stir in the bananas and vanilla. Add the moist to the dry all at once and stir.
Fill muffin cups almost full. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.