Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering banking this baby's cord blood.<br><br>
If we do this, can we still delay clamping for pulsations, or do they usually clamp and collect right away to get the most blood for the collection?<br><br>
Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Yes, you can delay clamping and still get the blood from one of the vessels in the cord.<br><br>
But, wouldn't you rather give those cells to your baby at birth rather than later on?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am planning on delaying clamping until pulsation stops. At that point, I feel a balance has been achieved between the baby and the placenta. I asked my doctor about that and he said that cord blood can be still be collected at that point. We are actually donating to a public bank. So, I feel its the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>pamamidwife</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">But, wouldn't you rather give those cells to your baby at birth rather than later on?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I see your point. But not all the cells will go to the baby anyway, right? Some will remain in the cord. I guess I was just asking, in a different way, if that is enough cord blood to collect, and if it can be done that way.<br><br>
Last time we donated as we were at a donor center. But ds was a section, so there could not be much delay, anyway.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Yeah, you can wait until the cord stops pulsing before clamping and still draw the blood. Our last birth turned unexpectedly UC (until about 10 min after she was born) and I thought we wouldn't be able to get the cord blood after waiting so long. The mw tried anyway and was able to draw enough blood for a successful banking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts