Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well heres my dilema, and i would like your opinions

Is it ok for my ds to wear my christening/baptism gown, its white and lacy, and i think would be great for him to wear it.

I know years ago boys used to wear gowns, but what is the norm now. Dh is thinking its strange, but i think it shouldnt be a problem.
any thoughts???

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Its not strange at all...

DS wore a gown, and Dh wore a gown... and if we are blessed with another boy HE'LL wear a gown too darn it!!!

Its tradition (at least in this family!)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
nak

Most people at our church have both their ds's and dd's in gowns.....go for it!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Both of my boys wore a gown made from my wedding dress, like StrawberryFields. It's gorgeous! I knew It'd never get used again. (I saved the extra fabric to make a 1st communion gown if I happen to have a girl one day) We had their names and baptisimal dates embroidered on the skirt part. I think babes are beautiful in gowns for baptisms, even if they are boys.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My ds just wore white polo pants w/ a white button up shirt. Our church is very casual & laid back so the gown wasn't very necessary. I don't think a gown is strange at all, in fact, we looked into a gown but couldn't find one we liked so we went with pants & shirt.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My ds wore our family's christening gown when he was baptised. He was adorable and loved to eat the lace! Nobody thought it was weird. We got loads of compliments. I figured this was the only time I could get away with putting my baby in a dress(Yes, when I see the cute summer dresses out there. . .I sometimes wish I had a girl

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Both my sons wore the gown that my mom, uncle, sister, and I all wore at our baptisms. It looks more yellow than white now, but whatever!

I like the idea of using my wedding gown for a first communion dress--I guess I need a daughter first, though

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I think a gown is fine for a boy to wear. I baptized my dd in the gown that my mother, my brother, and myself wore.
It too was more yellow than white, but I liked the idea of 3 generations wearing it. If I had a boy, he would have worn it too. My future (hopefully) children will also wear it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another gown wearing DS here. It was less frilly than you might think--just some elaborate pleats here and there, no lace. True, he looked like a girl in it, or rather like a very small but well-built football player trying to look like a girl, but it was really cute and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Except maybe the wedding dress idea. That's lovely.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestarmommy
We had their names and baptisimal dates embroidered on the skirt part.
I love this idea!!! I am totally having it done! Now, to figure out how...I don't know anyone that embroiders...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
My baby, boy or girl, will be wearing a gown that I make. LONG and fancy. I don't care for the pants/shorts outfit.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
We had a traditional gown for DD that was a handmade civil war style extra long gown. The ONLY reason DS isn't wearing it is because She was dedicated at 3 mos and DS is nearly a year old and the church just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I have a DD (and she will be wearing the gown from my own baptism at hers next month!), but if I had a DS, he'd probably wear the same thing. A friend of mine had her baby boy baptised in a gown--that's my only recent experience!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
I love this idea!!! I am totally having it done! Now, to figure out how...I don't know anyone that embroiders...
You can do it yourself. (I did, on the chemise of the gown all my boys wore.)

Just write the name & date with a quilting marker, and then do a lazy-daisy stich over the writing. (The quilting marker will wash out with normal washing.)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
All of the children in the past 6 generations of my family have worn the same gown, regardless of gender.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts