Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I remember seeing something like this before, but can't seem to find it. I just had my baby shower this weekend, so I'm finally getting around to buying all the last minute stuff that I need for baby. Personally, I'm going as minimal as possible and have a good sense of what supplies/"things" I do and don't need. But I am totally at a loss in terms of clothes.

For my shower, we decorated short sleeved onesies and short sleeve t-shirts, so I have about a dozen of those all together in newborn-6 month size. And.... that's it! I live in a climate that is hot & humid all year long (no a/c at my house), so I'm wondering, do I need to buy some long sleeved things too? What about sleepwear? These days I personally sleep almost nekkid and DH only uses a sheet, but I know that the baby needs a little more temp regulation. I got a few A&A muslin swaddle blankets, but maybe I should get some long sleeved sleepers too?

And what about hats & socks or baby legs & pants? There are a lot of a/c buildings (like the grocery store) that we will visit. And, what's the deal with bibs? Are they really helpful for drool, or really only necessary once baby starts eating solid foods?

Sorry if these questions seem a little silly, but I am seriously NOT excited by most baby clothes, so I'm really just planning on going to Target and buying the bare minimum of what we need. Thanks so much for any advice you have for me!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The actual mothers will know, but I wanted to say that I love the little baby leggings. They're popular here for boys and girls - and easy for temperature regulation. Pull them up for cool days, inch them down when baby's getting warm.

Another good idea for temperature checking is to look into what the traditional culture of that area wore. I wouldn't think much, but I've never been to Hawaii.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
how often do you want to do laundry?

I think I have at least a dozen onsies in each size and probably change them once or twice a day depending on poop and spit up happenings. Plus I keep at least one in the diaper bag, so I do laundry every three days or so.

It might be a good idea to have three long sleeve sleepers, you never know if your baby will be hot all the time or never. My august baby was always cold and my December baby sweat if we put anything on her!

Have a couple hats, you will want one the first couple days for sure and keep one in the diaper bag for when you go out places.

Bibs are another YMMV thing. I had about two dozen with DD1 and used them all, she spit up so much and it was the only way to not have to change her clothes every five minutes. Most of them sat unused for DD2. So have a few on hand, hopefully you wont need them, and you can always get more.

I think at Target you can get two packs of cotton Carter's pants, maybe just get one pack. They can be worn with the onsies. It might be good to keep one in the diaper bag incase you are out somewhere and it is cool for the baby.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'd say that you'll probably be fine on onesies, maybe grab a couple sleepers each in NB and 0-3 month sizes. Having a few hats would be good too, although you most likely won't need more than a couple. I never used them on DS, even in cooler weather. And I loathe baby socks. Loathe!! They never stay on. Which may be why I liked the sleepers so much! It wouldn't hurt to have a single pack of them from Target, but I usually just covered DS's feet with a blanket rather than use them.

And remember, the stores don't close once you give birth! Adding 2 sleepers, 2 pairs of pants, 1 pack of baby socks, and a couple of hats, should get you through the first days JUST FINE until you get a better idea of what you'll realistically need for your climate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree with all the prev advice so far, esp that you can run out and get what you need after the birth, too.

In fact, I'm taking that mentality this time, too. I had so many onesies and sleepers for DS (granted, he was a Dec baby), and so much went unused. I really liked one style of sleeper, and basically hated the others, so even tho I had tons I went out and bought more of the style I liked anyway. So, this time, I'm just saving myself the hassle and will get more of what we seem to use the most.

Right now I have about a dozen onesies, a few gowns, and a couple hats. We'll go from there.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bibs are essential IF you have a drooly, spitter upper type baby. I didn't! So DS never wore bibs till he started eating food.

Babies don't regulate their temps really well at first, so the basic theory is 'one more layer than you're wearing' will work for them. A couple light pants (think tee-shirt weight) will probably be a good addition to what you've got. If you've got lots of short sleeves already, adding in couple light cardigan type shirts/sweaters should work. You'll know more once baby is HERE and you know if they are a 'needs the layers' or 'stays nicely swaddled' type :) And then, they'll grow, and change their routine, just to mess with you!

You won't be able to swaddle them in a carseat (the straps won't work then), so you'll likely want pants for that, from a 'keep little legs protected from the straps' angle as well as from the A/C running in the car angle. Same thing with a swing, bouncy seat etc. those all won't buckle with a swaddle, so if you have those in the house, you may want to plan on little shorts/rompers, something with more 'legs' to it than just a onesie.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Some of the PP mentioned it, but I would get at least a few pants so you can put them on for car rides (the straps will rub tender little baby legs). My general rule was to have at least 2 sets of clothing per day--some people say 3, but my DD almost never spit up. I would think 3 sets of clothing if you have a baby that spits up frequently. We'll see if we need more for this baby. The other thing in that depending on how fast the baby grows you will be going through the sizes. My DD wore newborn size for maybe a week, then was in 0-3 months until about 6 weeks. After the baby is born you can go and buy some of the things you really like. For example, DD HATED onesies and they were a pain to get on her. The side-snap t-shirt were great though!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, mamas. I think I'll definitely pick up a few more things... good thing we are finally getting a Target here as of tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

And remember, the stores don't close once you give birth!
Thanks for the reminder.... even if I don't want to go anywhere, I can always send DH out to get stuff too!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I wish I could send you some of my baby clothes! I inherited two baby boy's worth of clothing, and I have a drawer FULL of 0-6 onesies. Both short and long sleeve together it's probably well over 60. And I've already combed through and given a bunch away to goodwill. Why did both of these mamas have so many onesies?
lol.gif

That said, reading this I didn't realize pants were such a good idea in the car. I might need to get some of those (I have some sweatpants but they are for 6 months, which would be silly on a newborn in August).

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

I wish I could send you some of my baby clothes! I inherited two baby boy's worth of clothing, and I have a drawer FULL of 0-6 onesies. Both short and long sleeve together it's probably well over 60. And I've already combed through and given a bunch away to goodwill. Why did both of these mamas have so many onesies?
lol.gif

That said, reading this I didn't realize pants were such a good idea in the car. I might need to get some of those (I have some sweatpants but they are for 6 months, which would be silly on a newborn in August).
You're so sweet! I'm sure the mamas who shop at your Goodwill will be super happy to find the clothes you gave them.
love.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.