Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ladies, we must get our gardens growing before we are busy with babies! Please share your gardening plans and where you live.

My husband is finally building me some raised beds and a salad table in our backyard since we are finished (at last) with the renovations. I have been gardening in my front yard for the past three years and will love having a more secluded area for me to work in without worrying about the girls running into the street. I will, however, keep a patch of corn, potatoes and herbs going in the front yard, though. I do think that front yard gardening rocks if it's your only available space. It encourages others in your neighborhood to consider growing food, not lawns.

I order seeds from bountifulgardens.org. I really like the work that they are doing and their seeds are all heirloom or open-pollenated. I started my seeds in flats and will eventually plant the following:

Festivity Corn, Organic
mary washington asparagus
Carrot Mix
Festivity Corn, Organic
Florence Fennel
Carentan Leek
Buttercrunch Lettuce, Butterhead
Crisp Mint Lettuce, Romaine
Crane Melon
Southport Red Globe Onion, Bulb
Valencia Onion
Chives Onion, Bunching (Scallions)
Super Sugar Snap Pea
Alpine Strawberry
Chard, Rainbow Mix
Brandywine Tomato, Regular
Italian Heirloom Tomato
Yellow Pear Tomato, Cherry
Sugar Baby Watermelon
Verde Tomatillos
Basil
Thyme
fingerling potatoes
russian blue potatoes

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
I'm in the NW corner of Oregon and right now I don't have a list, I usually just wing it when it comes time to planting. We are changing from our backyard garden all in boxes, to our front yard that gets so much more sun and is really unused. I'm worried our new puppy we have will tear up my boxes if they stay in the back. But I'm excited for the rain to stop so we can get the project underway and transform our lawn to food!

·
Registered
156 Posts
We got our garden up and going last year so I feel like we are ahead (thank goodness)...all we need to do is throw some seeds into the ground and water. We wont be spendany more time than that because we also have to move in August just when things are ready to be harvested.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The garden is my husband's baby--I cook and freeze and can.

We're in Milwaukee, zone 5b (right by the lake, so we don't freeze quite as hard but it takes longer to warm up in the spring and cool down in the fall). We're still planning. Maybe start some seeds next month.

We currently have five 4-foot by 8-foot raised beds in our backyard (plus a small strawberry patch, something that appeared to be volunteer raspberries but didn't produce last year (maybe they're primocanes, so we'll give them this year to produce or they'll be removed, and an herb bed), and room to build about 5 more in that same area.

He over-planted last year (mostly from purchased seedlings, some direct sowing of peas, beans, radishes, beets, so forth), but we still got a steady harvest of tomatoes (only a few had late blight), beans, peas, bell peppers (far too many bell peppers), collards, and broccoli.

Our cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, and melons did terribly--most people in the neighborhood had terrible cucumbers and melons, though, due to the weird weather (very cool summer). I think we got the eggplant in too late.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
OMG I envy ya'll. I grew up with a backyard and planting etc but we live in a condo with no garden plot. I am just going to lurk with envy...
Though last two summers we did local apple, wax bean, raspberry and strawberry picking. My aunt volunteered on a farm last summer and we got TONS of free veggies (garlic, onions, yellow zucchini, swiss chard, etc). That was such a treat. I wish to get my hands in the earth again but not sure how to make that all happen in the short term. The local community gardens are all in the hydro fields, so there are hydro wires running above the plots. My aunt was advising against growing there.

Sending fertile vibes for your lovely gardens ~*~*~*~*

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ProtoLawyer, I am drooling over the description of your gardening space. I'm only going to have one 4X10 raised bed in the backyard and will use another 40 square feet of space in the front yard. Your garden sounds lovely. You must post pics once your hubby has it up and running.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We will have four 4x4 raised beds that will have...

zucchini
yellow squash
onions
broccoli
carrots
lettuce
cucumbers
tabasco peppers
jalapeno peppers
turnips
chives
collards
spinach
okra
beets

A 20 ft stretch of flower bed that we are putting corn in and then lining the outside of with about 15 tomato plants: Amish, Brandywine and cherry

A 20ft stretch of two rows of sunflowers with edible seeds (both giant and dwarf). These will line a brick fence that separates us from our neighbors.

The sunflowers will be lined with a border of pots growing herbs: basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, chamomile, comfrey, bergomot, lavender

A 20 ft stretch of row with half pumpkin and half watermelon

A teepee of pole beans. It should be about 6ft tall with a 4 ft diameter at the base

Each of the 20ft stretches are along three edges of the yard. I think it will have a nice effect of kind of 'fencing' in the yard with garden.

We are in Korea and I haven't figured out what zone that might be similar to. Our last frost is around the end of March so I will be starting seeds in paper pots here in the next couple of weeks. It works out really well for the ones who need warm soil to germinate because we have heated floors here. My husband is going to build the boxes and get all the stakes and tomato cages built etc this weekend which is pretty funny since between yesterday and today we have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. He has a four day weekend though so we figure we better use our time while he's got some.

The biggest challenge for us is improving soil quality. We have rocky sandy dirt which is why we are doing the raised boxes but finding enough soil to fill the boxes will be challenging. Most Koreans just plant in the rocky dirt and they tend to plants TONS of stuff in rows but I don't they get the yield they could get if they planted less with better soil. We know we can get compost, which we need since ours is frozen and we can probably get some processed manure. We are going to shop around for several brands at least and see what we come up with. At worst, we will buy several extra large bags of potting soil to add to the manure and compost and hopefully come up with enough to fill the boxes without resorting to either growing into what's already there (I want 8 inch deep boxes since I'm growing several root plants) or having to use some fill dirt.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My Valentine's gift from DH and the kids this year are more herbs for my window gardens!

We have a small garden plot which we made last year, but this year I want to expand just a little and prepare the ground a bit better, as our yields were poor, especially our vine plants and corn.

Officially we garden in our front yard, but we have a weird corner lot that our little 1 1/2 story house sits on. The "front" yard gets the best light, as does the side yard we consider the front, but the kids play in the front, er side yard as the "backyard" is so shady and rocky that trees and weeds grow there and the kids cannot really play there. So the logical place was to garden in the spot we picked. Plus it is such a tiny town, and we are the weird nOObs, a garden out front is just those nOObs being odd.

I am so hungry for fresh homegrown veggies now!

·
Registered
423 Posts
DDC Crashing for this one! I am not due until August so I may have a little more time. We live in Northern Colorado so no planting anytime soon, but we do have a nice raised bed and a compost pile and worm bin. I am so excited! So for veggies:

Tomatoes
Zuccini
Summer Squash
Broccoli
Peppers (Hot and Bell)
Some sort of greens (Collards probably)
Okra
Watermelon
Something unusual I haven't decided yet.

We also have a shady side yard that will be perfect for some herbs:
Basil
Mint
Rosemary
Thyme
Oregano

I would like to try some spring lettuce too but we will have to see how the ground thaws, spring is wacky out here.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
ProtoLawyer, I am drooling over the description of your gardening space. I'm only going to have one 4X10 raised bed in the backyard and will use another 40 square feet of space in the front yard. Your garden sounds lovely. You must post pics once your hubby has it up and running.
I'll do what I can...we set it up last year with the help of a local gardening group; this year we may add a bed or two ourselves (though my husband is co-chairing an organization that's getting a MASSIVE community garden off the ground--they have 140 plots of various sizes (most 4x8, some 4x4) available for nominal rent. Volunteers will be doing bed construction May 1, and they've got donations of lumber, compost, and tools).

This was one of the main reasons we bought the house--it's on a double lot in the city, so it's not a HUGE yard by suburban standards, but there's an entire area off the alley where a garage would be on the "second" lot that makes great garden space (some sunny, some partial shade). There's still good running-around room for kids and dog (and there's a nice patch of green space across the street, too--no playground or anything, but perfect for picnics, dog running, etc.).

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I'm in the NW, so too early to be digging in the dirt (even though we are freakishly without snow in the valley). However, I am planning our seed order very soon!! Not sure what yet. We have our must haves (peas, beans, carrots, onions) but also like to try new crops.

Didn't get any cover crop in this fall.
Not sure what happened, other than we were really busy. So, we'll have a lot more work to do than usual this spring. We have several gardens - some with raised beds. One tiny hoop house that we made to help the tomatoes along. My favorite garden is our perrenial herb garden. . .Our biggest battle is deer. They are very tricky. We have 10 ft fencing around our main garden and deer spinklers (motion detector) on the others!

I usualy start some flowers, pumpkins, zucs, squash, and some herbs indoors in March.

We buy peppers and tomatoe plants. Just can't get them big enough without investing in grow lighting.

Proto - The community garden project sounds awesome! You'll have to keep us posted. Urban gardens are sprouting up everywhere and it is such a fantastic use of unused space!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oooh i LOVE this thread! I hope it grows and grows cus i enjoyed reading all the posts so much

I'm in Chilliwack BC, about 2 hours east of Vancouver, and about 30 minutes north of the USA border. Zone 8.
We live in a rental duplex, but have a small private backyard, we have to keep some lawn area for the dog and DD, but someday i'll have a vast and stretching garden

My *real* garden in 3 4X4ft raised beds and dozens of pots and some large cinder blocks. I have some herbs in the blocks and i think they will mostly overwinter/reseed this year as it was mild. There are green onions, 2 basil, rosemary, mint, strawberries.
A large pot with potatoes. I think i'll do a large pot with zuchinni, last years' zuchinni was oddly a fail and took up too much room in the raised bed.
I hope to get a blueberry plant this year and that will be potted too since we plan to move in 1 year. I probably won't do a ton in the pots since it is such an effort to keep them all watered (they have to sit on gravel along concrete so it's very dry for them)

In the raised beds will be carrots, peas, runner beans, and tons of cherry tomatoes.

I'll be going to a local greenhouse to hopefully get a killer deal on a load of tomatoes for canning, so i won't take up space with canning tomatoes.

That's it since that's all the room i have. I WON"t be doing lettuce again since it was too frustrating to keep the snails out of it, we have millions of snails here
I might maybe try lettuce in hanging baskets if i get around to it... we'll see

And i have a gorgeous full-sun perennial flower garden.... i'm all for growing food but since i studied horticulture for 2 years i really can't do without my flowers
It runs in the 2 foot space between our driveway and the neighbours fence, it's about 20 feet long and i adore it. Right now my oriental poppies are bushing up, sedum spectabalis is lovely green clumps, and my spring bulbs are coming up
It runs along our window so i can gaze at it all day!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
have any of you ladies read "how to grow more vegetables" by john jeavons?
AMAZING stuff. every gardener should own this book. truly. biodynamic seeds link here too. his book has been translated into dozens of languages and he has shown people all over the world how to grow food for their family. with his methods, you can grow food for your entire family in any type of terrain and soil: desert, mountain, coastal etc.,.

anyways, based on john jeavons' techniques, we we will be growing in an enclosed garden area, about 30' x 30':

80 tomato plants
30 bell pepper plants
30 squash plants
30 bush bean plants
30 cucumber plants
80 sq ft of potatoes
20 sq ft of onions
20 sq ft melon
20 sq ft watermelon
10 sq ft groundcherries
50 sq ft bok choy and lettuces
20 sq ft baby corn

i'm starting my seeds in the next couple weeks. hopefully, i'll be growing enough food to be able to put up a lot of it to see us through the next winter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Our current problem is that we will (hopefully) be moving before May when our lease is up on this house. Last year we container gardened (just a few tomatoes and peppers and herbs) and this year I really wanted to do more, but I don't know what our space will be! Makes it hard to start planting seeds in the next couple of months until we figure it all out.

This thread is very inspiring, though! You all sound like you have your gardens completely planned out already and they all sound yummy!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
have any of you ladies read "how to grow more vegetables" by john jeavons?
AMAZING stuff. every gardener should own this book. truly.
Yep! That's the farm where I order seeds from. I have always used his method of garden prep, but I am trying to plant in the Grow Biointensive manner this year. I'm rereading and trying to make an outline and plan. I don't have the amount of space he gives for a "small" garden, so I'll have a very scaled-down version.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a small (3'x15') raised bed, BUT we're moving home to VT right after this babe is born, and going to rent our house here. SO...no garden for me this year. I think I'll fill the bed with wildflowers so it looks nice for possible tenants. I love the Seed Savers Exchange catalog, and usually get my starters from a local garden group that uses them, too.

Luckily, in VT, we're moving in with family, and will be treated to a garden bigger than our current back yard, apple tree, berries, and fresh eggs! So I won't get to plan a garden this year, but next year I plan to make up for it!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sometime View Post
Our current problem is that we will (hopefully) be moving before May when our lease is up on this house. Last year we container gardened (just a few tomatoes and peppers and herbs) and this year I really wanted to do more, but I don't know what our space will be! Makes it hard to start planting seeds in the next couple of months until we figure it all out.

This thread is very inspiring, though! You all sound like you have your gardens completely planned out already and they all sound yummy!
That was the issue we had last year--we were living in a rental, aiming to purchase a house in May (when I graduated from law school), and we didn't know whether we'd have gardening space. So we arranged to rent a community bed from a garden club (which we'd done for the previous couple of years--we're members of the club); once we realized we'd have great garden space at home, we canceled the rental (they had a long waiting list, so that wasn't a problem). We put the raised beds in in a hurry.

·
Registered
298 Posts
We just bought this house in Dec. Before that we've always lived in apts and no place to grow a garden. This year I really would like to but the yard needs a LOT of cleanup done in order to find a suitable place to have one. I'm thinking the side yard.... right now it is covered in blackberry vines and trash from the last people who lived here. It's still very rainy here in the Pac NW so I haven't gone out to do any cleanup. We have had a few nice days and I should have taken advantage of that but just haven't. At this point I still have no idea what I'm going to grow, or even how much space I will have available.

I know I want to do things like peas, carrots, tomatoes (I especially want to do yellow pear tomatoes!!), squash, maybe some herbs... I really need to get on the planning if I'm going to do this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My husband has taken over the gardening. I had always done the planting, and I might do the seed starting, but I'll let him do the planting. He took care of everything else last year, so I figure he'll be happy to this year. In our house, there are certain items we have to grow. First is the hops. My husband is a home brewer, so he thought it would be cool to grow them to actually use. Last year was the first crop and better than expected. He also grew pumpkins for beer.

So, this years list will include those two items and:
Zucchini
acorn squash
yellow and green beans
sugar peas
corn (last year we did red, but this year will probably try something different)
tomatoes (our favorite are the yellow ones, but we grow a variety)
cucumbers for eating and pickling
and bell peppers

I am planning on buying some raspberry bushes for him to plant as well.

As for the beer he also picks cherries from my parents' house. Last year he one second place at the state fair with his cherry beer, and I admit it was pretty darn awesome.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.